Hello everyone

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yedidya

Reaction score
I am Yedidya, from Israel.
I'm new to this hobby, and I don't really have any mechanical knowledge in the field and I thought I'd start with building a really small engine.

I'm thinking of focusing mainly on electric motors.

I would appreciate tips on where to start, and what is recommended for a beginner.
If there are posts that can help as well, I'd love to receive them.

Thanks

Last edited:
Yedidya .
Welcome to the forum !

I am Yedidya, from Israel.
I'm new to this hobby, and I don't really have any mechanical knowledge in the field and I thought I'd start with building a really small engine.

I'm thinking of focusing mainly on electric motors.

Based on what you said,
My advice - it's different from what I started - You should start with simple projects
Theory : you can learn it in 15 seconds
Experience : You can only learn through each project - from simple to complex - including mistakes, time to learn it is measured in months, years.

Welcome Yedidya, glad to have you.

While I should know a lot about electrical motors, my experience has been more with the larger one, up to about 5,000 hp.

I have a book about small electric motors, but there seems to be a lot of variety in the smaller units, and seemingly more variety than I normally see with larger motors.

I have seen 3-phase induction motors made using an aluminum soda can as the rotor, and they actually run well.

If you want to get into the higher power output, and better efficiency, things will get more complicated than a soda can.

Good luck.

Pat J

Will the motors be used to drive something, or just decorative? I would like to see a motor built along the same lines as the film version of 'The Time Machine'. All fancy scroll work and brass! See you in 800,000 years?

Latest posts

Back