Hello every one

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi I'm John and live in Manchester England I am retired now and have been longing to own a small lathe to do small projects I have in mind,I have been looking on ebay at a Crenex 8.7 x 23.6 I have picked this mainly for the DBC 1100 W motor and quite large bore through spindle and it's compact size to go on a bench top and it's pretty much at the top of my budget but I might be able to stretch that if any one here can offer a better option.I know these chinese lathes can have quality issues and would be most gratefull for any information the members here can offer.Thanks John
Hi, did you get this lathe?? I am looking at this one on Ebay for £888 or the Warco wm180 which seems out of stock at present :( looking at comments all on the Web, what I can say about service is Warco will at least most likely be there if their lathe needs any repair or otherwise parts. I suspect after sales from an Ebay lathe seller is going to he patchy at best!!
However the Crenex 8.7×23 does seem a lot better specced than the WM180, which several reviewers on YT have mentioned an issue with brushes on the motor failing early on !@!
Any further thoughts anyone ???
The last lathe I bought 30 years ago was secondhand & I would never buy a s/h again as it was just to difficult & time consuming to get it working accurately , for me, I just want a lathe I can use not fettle to much :0

Last edited:
Hello everyone
I have now managed to source and buy a lovely lathe from the electronic buying site? It's a Chester DB10 Super LB.I upped my budget a bit because it was virtually brand new and only used once I was surprised by the total lack of interest that was shown in it by buyers but I think that might have been because of the total lack of information given about the lathe by the seller. I think I got it for a great price and it came with all the accessories it was supplied with. I went with a friend to collect it a couple of days later,the seller was great when we met him he was very trusting and had to go off for a booster jab so just left us to get on with loading it in the vehicle which only took us about 30 mins as it had been left just inside the doors of a large Garage ready for taking a bit of a doddle really and we were on our way home.
The lathe is now installed in my newly built workshop behind my garage which was a bit of a struggle due to its weight but after a bit of huffing and puffing we got it in and I'm glad I didn't buy anything bigger.
It was originally supplied by Chester Hobby Craft and is of Chinese origin I believe, but built to their specification I would imagine it appears to be well set up with no play in any of the moving parts it has auto feed on two axis and various other aids that you don't get on the cheap chinese eBay sales, the only downside is the bore diameter which is only 26mm but I'll live with that so that's me sorted for now

Hi, did you get this lathe?? I am looking at this one on Ebay for £888 or the Warco wm180 which seems out of stock at present :( looking at comments all on the Web, what I can say about service is Warco will at least most likely be there if their lathe needs any repair or otherwise parts. I suspect after sales from an Ebay lathe seller is going to he patchy at best!!
However the Crenex 8.7×23 does seem a lot better specced than the WM180, which several reviewers on YT have mentioned an issue with brushes on the motor failing early on !@!
Any further thoughts anyone ???
The last lathe I bought 30 years ago was secondhand & I would never buy a s/h again as it was just to difficult & time consuming to get it working accurately , for me, I just want a lathe I can use not fettle to much :0

HI there no I decided against it due to the poor reviews they tend to get about the overall condition of them and the amount of fettling they need to get them anything like.

Last edited:
One of my very good friends who was 94 died this week
There is a very complete Myford ML7-RB- the one like the Supper7B and a Pultra 10 instrument lathe, a Sient -the shorter one- and a vast collection of tooling.
Do you wish me to keep you posted in the. even of a future sale?
There's even a part built Simplex5 as I taught him boiler making years ago and clocks and watches.

My apologies for not replying to your post but I missed it completely and thank you for your offer I am now sorted as you may have seen in my last post. After moving that lathe about I think the Myford might have been a bridge too far regarding the weight, but thank you very much again for your offer and my belated condolences on the loss of your friend
John

QUOTE" Myford might have been a bridge too far regarding the weight "

The only real heavy part on the Myford7 is the bed, all other parts can be removed. My Son and Grandson carried a Myford bed
down a flit of stairs and on to a bench for me then I put it back together..

Latest posts

Back