Hello...and a question

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stewart

Reaction score
Hi all
Have just found your forum from a link on the UKWorkshop forum in the UK. Until this week I had no idea I was interested in metalwork or would ever have the opportunity to have tools to work it but then the opportunity to have a metal working lathe and a drilling milling machine came along...and guess what I suddenly discovered metal was as interesting as wood and yes I did want to make things in metal. I've had a quick look over the postings here and there's plenty of reading ahead of me.

These are the machines I've been offered:

DSC_0555.jpg

DSC_0551.jpg

The lathe looks pretty manageable to move but I'm not sure about the milling machine. I was told it took four people to get it into its present workshop. Before I try to locate three other people and a truck capable of carrying it are there any precautions I should take before moving it so as to protect against damaging or misaligning it? Also, what can I safely take off the machine to lighten it and make it easier to move?

Cheers

Stewart

Stewart,

Your mill drill is almost identical to mine. In my younger days it took only two of us to take it apart and reassemble, but a third set of hands would be very helpful.
I actually took the head up a flight of stairs by myself using a sling around my neck and shoulders. Don't try it, it definitely needs at least two.

To remove the head, take the cap off the top of the column (it is held on with a grub screw in the side). Make sure there are no wires connecting the head to the base, if so disconnect them and mark them up where they go, but usually the mains lead is all there is. Take off the motor to make the head a very lot lighter. With the column clamps slackened off, the head can be swung around until the motor is at the front.
Now all you do, using the head raising handle is wind it up until the drive becomes disengaged, you will automatically know when it does. Mark the rack on the side of the column which way is the top (I put mine on upside down and had to take the head off again).
You now just lift the head straight up and off the remaining bit of column.
If you have an engine hoist that will reach that far, use it, it will save your back in the long run.
I wouldn't recommend taking the table off, but I would remove all extremity pieces, handles etc. Also you could unbolt the base from the cabinet stand, but you might find it easier leaving it as is, it is a built in stand if you have to stop for a rest, and it doesn't weigh much anyway.
The rest is just man handling it to where you want it to go, and assemble in reverse order.

If you're careful and don't drop it, it will go back together and be exactly the same as before you started.

Hope this helps, and welcome to the site, and enjoy your new found very addictive hobby.

John

Thanks for the advice, John and the welcome. Taking the head off should certainly make it lighter! Now all I need to do is find someone with a van.
Thanks too, Rick.
I'm looking forward to developing this new interest.
Cheers
Stewart

Stewart,
I should have mentioned, two things, the wiring to the motor, disconnect at the motor and leave the internal wiring where it is. The other is, this miller is very top heavy, and does really need the head taking off for long distance transportation. For very short haul or assembly outside the workshop and then moving inside, you could try winding the head fully down, just to lower the c of g.

John

Welcome :
You are starting with some nice machines there.
Tin

Hey Stewart!

Welcome to the club. Thats a nice looking lathe and mill. Those wood working skills will come in handy for making bases for your models.

Eric

Back