Hello all

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick Worrall

Reaction score
Hi I'm in the process of setting up my workshop (17' x 10') and I'm just at the stage where I'm milling/turning little bits here and there. I've not got any experience with the lathe and have only ever used big CNCs mills and routers. I'm really enjoying it and look forward to talking to you guys (and girls)

Hi I'm in the process of setting up my workshop (17' x 10') and I'm just at the stage where I'm milling/turning little bits here and there. I've not got any experience with the lathe and have only ever used big CNCs mills and routers. I'm really enjoying it and look forward to talking to you guys (and girls)
Har har, you're in for a ride. But like you would on your bike, wear safety glasses and keep long sleeves out of the lathe or mill. Do you have someone to help you learn? A community college class can be a GREAT help if you know absolutley nothing about the lathe (or mill) as they have "organized" learning. A friend in driving distance too can be a great help and lastly a book about the subject can help if you have no other way--that's how I ground a telescope reflector. Of course, we all recommend that you pay attention to what the HMEM peeps have to peep but we can't be there to directly help.

My workshop is a tiny bit largher than yours: a one car garage about 12' by 25' and THAT is WAY too small for me. I considered building a small "tem;porary" building in the back yard but there isn't enough space to do that either. Are you interested in foundry work? I thimk that the castings available here and there are generally too high for my wallet so since I have a couple 5 gallon buckets of brass and what not (aluminum too being cheap and very available) that I will set up a small foundry to do castings of my own. If it all works, much cheaper and a lot of fun. And dangerous of course, and as you probably know, what's the use of doing something if it aint dangerous? Har har, good luck

Back