Hello all

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Sura and welcome.
I am fairly new to engine making but I did a lot of machining when I was younger. These mistakes sometimes happen to the most experienced so there is no need to apologise, just learn from them.
I have a box of mistakes under my bench in case the bits are useful for something else. We call them 'odds and sods.' I expect most people on this forum have similar boxes.

Good morning Tonym
I m not success in building anything , but I love to learn to search to try , this is a good website for me to have people build the engine , thanks for your warm welcome .

IMG_0122.jpg

The frame was temporary be set up . The cat checked my job , n said if I use this frame to make iron horse , it will be run like rock n roll . Nice comment , I ' give him a fat tuna .

IMG_0393.jpg

merry Christmas, the frame still not Ok, but the cylinder come.

P_20171225_180208.jpg

Blogwitch : thank you for nice idea , I am back to the lathe again , Wx here is a bit warm and dry , I may try epoxy intead of clamp . Now making familiar with 4 jaw chuck , machinning partly cylinder and chest . seem ok ..... Machinning is such a fun work indeed . Best regard to you all .

แสรื.jpg

everything stop . now refreshing ML , the dream comes true .

ml.jpg

oil.jpg

Awesome! A Myford lathe! Good for you. I hope you can get it all sorted out and running.

David

Congratulations to your endeavor and effort hope you get much pleasure
What is the serial no of the lathe ,stamped on the bed
Photo of a couple of Myfords i used to have before selling themmyford 01.jpg

myford 02.jpg

hello David and Norm , ML standed about 10 years waiting for me only 1.5 mile from my home . So finding her is kind of unbelieavable story . Dear Bazmak , motor said 1982 , so she is 36 years . sn : k 80403 . Surely she will help a lot in turnning brass for pipework , Bazmak your ML are greatsssss indeed . thanks

serial.jpg

1982.jpg

damrong.jpg

tonglathe.jpg

kiss.jpg

yesterday trying to setup lpgcutting .Lots of things have learnt , wrong torch , too low-too high pressure , leakage valve .But today finally success in cutting 6 mm iron .

ตัดแก๊ส ถัง.jpg

ตัดเหล็ก.jpg

Hi Sura,tell us a bit more history of how and where you found the Myford lathe
It is an Ml7 made in 1949 and its 2 years younger than me.I hope you are
going to spend some time refurbishing it rather than just getting it working
Wonder how it got over from Nottingham to your neck of the woods

Hi Sura

I'm sitting with a ML10 and a Sieg C4 in my little study whilst there is a Super 7 with a gear box in my little workshop( in the snows, grrrrr)

I've had several ML7's in the past. So you can get some spares if necessary and there are plenty of books which were written by past masters and still remain in print today.

OK, you have to think in Imperial dimensions for most of the time but a lot of models are designed in Feet and inches anyway.

Even then, a transposing gear of 63 teeth, 20 DP will create metric threads but a correct 127 one will be too large. You CAN use a 21 tooth gear for most purposes but the choice is really yours. RDG tools in the UK do have things like that.

So we all wish you every success and remind you that many of us have had considerable 'Myford' experience should it be needed.

Cheers

Norm

hello Dear mechanists . Bazmak : I planed to find some project in the late of my life ( but I still young and little handsome ).I try many hobbies . The altimate project I thought was steamloco .So spent quite little time ( sorry boss for some report sick ) to study lathe and milling at workshop in collage in BKK last 3 yeas ago . then I tour steamloco web , first find sr. LBSC and people talk about ML ,dl free ebook from johntom web .Buy 2nd hand lathe and milling . Then started to find ML in thailand . Most I found almost less than 60 % profile left . no table no cover .......... After make some part of loco ,Yes they may easy to be helped with laser cut , but working by hand can recieve more impressive feelling.......... I always practice torching for boiler and pipe work but not success . I ran bicycle tour around hometown to talk with the latheman and the miller , respect all of them to be my teacher .............my life have responsible with half doen of cats ( at least ) ....A must of daily WORK is biking to buy fresh tuna for my cat-boss at market 3 kms from home every day . Actually along the way I can find technical collage only 1km !!!!! from home and the workshop that I met sis ML is 1.5 km !!!!!! from home .... I just want to learn or find more knowledge about metalwork , so I biked into the workshop good start is offer the profit . I ask if he has any lathe for sale . he show big one . I dont want . then he show the lady ML .... I was shocked few seconds ..... But after that we have conversation outlound .....He said he bought this ML from Bkk last 10 yrs more . never use , just for show the spirit profile of old mechanist ....he liked my word said I want ML for showing as museum !!!....he had never seen anyone bike to buy lathe ......better ever he accepted me to be his student ...... From the machanist hand everything back to normal motor , gears , belt . She seems quite more tan skin ...cosmetics her is very happy job ....Now she alive . and be my sister my godness and the point of view of my home

hello Norm . many thanks for ML using tips . I will run ML on special occasion only hi hi . All of my loco work todays use mm-sys m3 m4 . But to learn everythingmore is kind of better habbit indeed ............. some pic of my teacher workshop he is still happy guy with many girlfriends , his homebrew metal sheet roller and very antique drillpress at work ...happy holiday .

happy.jpg

roll.jpg

antic.jpg

Dear teachers, time to send you homework . After spent 1.5 month !!!!!! to find the ways to make rigid frame , finally I have that so next stage can go , Fitting hornblock .

frame.jpg

hornblock.jpg

Latest posts

Back