Heck of a deal--Well, Uhh--Maybe

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian Rupnow

Design Engineer
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
Two weeks ago I got a flier in the mail from Princess Auto. They had a sale starting in 5 days that had a 24" Vernier caliper for $9.95!!! Okay, okay--I know that you get what you pay for. --But then again, I'm not building medical devices or parts for the space shuttle. As it is, anything longer than 8" I have to use a tape measure for. So---I sent my good wife out on the appointed day, because I was busy, and sure enough, she brought home this humungous Vernier caliper. Now really, for the price, I'm certainly not going to complain too much.---But wait---Whats this I see??? One side is marked out in millimeters. That's okay, I can work with that. But the other side, (inches) is marked out in increments of 1/128ths!!! Well Damn me for a sinner--I've never seen that before. All of my Verniers are marked out to measure thousandths of an inch. I haven't thought too much about this yet, and maybe its a lot simpler than it seems.--Otherwise I'm going to have to measure everything with the metric side and then convert to inches. Fortunately, I will only use this big bugger 2 or 7 times a year, so its not a big deal. Has anyone else seen this, and do you have any insight to measuring in 128ths of an inch??---Brian

you can use the 0.05mm as 2thou.

mine is graduated just like yours but i'm a metric guy, and i only use the inch side for full inch and 1 1/8, etc. the 1/8 graduations are pretty easy to read.

Hi Brian, this is pretty common it is more work but more precise then using the other scale
I did put some pictures of how it works hopefully it will be usefull. BTW my chemio treatement
or going fine still sleeping more then my dogs, but getting there.

mycaliper128scale1.jpg

128scale2.jpg

128scale3.jpg

I have one and never paid any attention to the vernier scale, other than it reads in 128's. I am just tickled to be able to accurately measure to a sixteenth. So many things in that size range have irregular, or rounded edges.

Don't use it a lot, but I'm not anxious to get rid of it.

Bill

I think ten bucks for a two foot verier you can not beat it.
Tin

Tin, I agree. Making measurements over 6" with anything approaching even 0.005" accuracy with a $10 instrument is great!

If you used it every day, OK, the translations would be a pain, but for many of us taking an accurate measurement above 6" is not that common.

I'd say you got a good deal

Cheers,
Phil

For ten bucks yeah. Interesting that in the how to photos, is the unit marked in. 001" on one scale and128s on the other .

That one is likely 30 bucks LOL.

Two weeks ago I got a flier in the mail from Princess Auto. They had a sale starting in 5 days that had a 24" Vernier caliper for $9.95!!! Okay, okay--I know that you get what you pay for. --But then again, I'm not building medical devices or parts for the space shuttle. As it is, anything longer than 8" I have to use a tape measure for.
This is a very nice find.
So---I sent my good wife out on the appointed day, because I was busy, and sure enough, she brought home this humungous Vernier caliper. Now really, for the price, I'm certainly not going to complain too much.---But wait---Whats this I see??? One side is marked out in millimeters. That's okay, I can work with that. But the other side, (inches) is marked out in increments of 1/128ths!!!
This is due to the scale being marked in fractions. It would be very useful in wood working where fractional measurements are common.
Well Damn me for a sinner--I've never seen that before. All of my Verniers are marked out to measure thousandths of an inch. I haven't thought too much about this yet, and maybe its a lot simpler than it seems.--Otherwise I'm going to have to measure everything with the metric side and then convert to inches. Fortunately, I will only use this big bugger 2 or 7 times a year, so its not a big deal. Has anyone else seen this, and do you have any insight to measuring in 128ths of an inch??---Brian
Somebody already covered use really well so I won't go into that. Another way to look at this is that every two 1/128th's is a 64th of an inch. If you look at it this way you can see that it would be rather quick to use in a wood working shop or other venue where fractions are common. A real pain in a machine shop though.

It would be interesting to calibrate this against something, I have to wonder how much error is in a 10 dollar caliper.

Latest posts

Back