Health Issues

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Captain Jerry

Project of the Month Winner!!!
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
If, like me, you like to eat, and if, like me, you have problems with acid reflux or indigestion, you may have, like me, come to rely on Prilosec or other acid reducers. I have been depending on acid reducers for well over a year, in spite of clear package warnings to use for only 14 days.

I now know that doing this can lead to a failure to absorb vitamin B12 from your diet. For me, this reached a serious deficiency with scary results. Progressive loss of energy and loss of balance leading to short spells of disorientation and near paralysis. My wife would like me to add that I was very grouchy but I don't think that is relevant. I was beginning to fear driving and most of my shop time was spent cleaning, organizing, and avoiding machines.

My doctor recognized the symptoms and after some testing and analysis has put me on a B12 regimen. Shots and oral supplement. The results were almost immediate. Within 4 hours, I was up to full speed. I haven't felt this good in many months so if you will excuse me, I have to go kick a donkey's ass.

Jerry

Jerry, glad to hear the diagnosis and fix were both successful and rapid !!

I also have a problem with acid reflux. One doctor suggested I raised the head of my bead up on a couple bricks. I actually built my bed to have the head 4" higher than the foot. It made a great improvement for me. When I travel I throw a couple extra pillows under the head of the mattress. You do not want a pillow under your head, you need to have your entire body inclined.

And thanks for the tip about the B12. I have been taking acid reducers for a couple years, and have the loss of energy you describe. I will have my doc check me out for B12

Jerry and Ron,

Glad your both heading in the right direction! Take care of yourselves heh!

Dave

So...maybe I should avoid Wheat Beer and Rye Whiskey? Gin might be okay but it gives me the munchies and by then, who knows what I might eat.

Jerry

Maybe I should get the Doc to have my B12 checked next time I need a blood test. Out of interest what dosage Prilosec are you on Jerry?

Vic.

Another problem with acid reducers is that they may make the original problem worse. Reduced acid may reduce the proper digestion in the stomach. That allows some undigested food to pass into the small intestine which immediately gets upset over this intrusion and the result is a food intolerance.

I leaned this the hard way by using prescription acid reducers under a doctors supervision for years,and now have more than thirty foods that I can't eat.

Has anyone tried Baking Soda? It is natural cheap and it has worked for me for years, off and on. But I don't know how it affects the B12. I will run that past the Doc next time
Dave

Dave: Baking soda is base that neutralizes the stomach acid. Acid reducers cause the body to produce less acid.

Probably a different approach to the same end, but doctors and drug companies can't make any money of baking soda.

Vic

I have been taking over the counter Prilosec @ 20.6 mg one a day. There are many other brands of Omeprazole on the market and depending on store specials and available coupons, my wife will buy any of them. I don't really have a favorite as they seem equally effective.

One day soon, I might pay more attention to what I eat but right now I don't have any limitations except quantity and I have found that I can survive on less.

Jerry

Captain Jerry said:
One day soon, I might pay more attention to what I eat but right now I don't have any limitations except quantity and I have found that I can survive on less.

Jerry

Since I became diabetic and quit drinking alcohol I have less acid reflux as I eat a few small meals a day.

feeling good now days but the diabetes trashed my eyesight.

Thanks Jerry, I'm on the same dose of Omeprazole as you. I'll see what my Doc says.

Vic.

I have Barrets oesophegus and have been taking Somac for about 8 years. Anyone know if this affects B12? Chemical is pantoprazole 80mg daily.

Back