Headstock Mandrel

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeterDRG

Reaction score
Hi guys

I welcome suggestions. I made a headstock mandrel for my Boxford, but the cone just revolves instead of pulling up and spreading the end. The one I made for the Hobbymat works fine. Any thoughts on what I should do ?
Boxford Spindle Handle.jpg

imho It has more to do with the INTERNAL diameter and only monute adjuents to the diameter are possible.

I made one to a recognised design for one previous lathe and then bought a lathe with a different diametr and then bought a similar lathe to. the former---- and so on.
I am sure that you will realise that there is literally and expanding wedge. Repeating myself, it is probably less bother to msske a new mandrel body and use the handle only,
Here- some years ago, I saw an expanding bolt anchor designed for goinmg into concrete or brick/stone masonry being used as an alternative.

If that is the case, or possible asight of a builders catologue is an idea.

Regards

Norman

Hi guys

I welcome suggestions. I made a headstock mandrel for my Boxford, but the cone just revolves instead of pulling up and spreading the end. The one I made for the Hobbymat works fine. Any thoughts on what I should do ?View attachment 126667

It might just be as simple as pulling the rod back so that the nut grips the inside of the cone.

When I made mine I used a quite shallow taper, a locking taper. This does mean that I have to give the nut a tap in order to release the handle.

Here is a picture of the end of mine.
21022015-03.JPG

And one of the other end.
21022015-01.JPG

It only takes a single turn of the nut to lock it in place.

Again, there is - or was. the one on the Chris Heapy site.

It had a handle that could be detached. I used my one on the mill vice.

Latest posts

Back