having 2 lathes

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

speedyb

Reaction score
It seems I have a Micro Mark 7x16 and a Enco 13x40

the Micro Mark never gets used anymore, and frankly there was only a few months span in between the purchases.

I wonder if I should keep the Mini lathe ?

project wise:
so far all have not been model engine related, and all done on the Enco. Those projects got put on hold for a while.

As I progress back to model engine projects, I wonder if the bigger enco will be too big at some time..? ( I am not very experienced) however I am getting more confident at working close to the chuck. (with still respecting the spinning Chuck!)

And Should also say, I am not interested in really small,small projects.
to hard on my eyes and actually harder to do, in my limited experience.
Selling the 7x16 would go a long ways towards some new great tooling. :)

advice ?

I like having a second lathe because I often have to leave a setup for a day or two. I often need a quick item while one lathe is occupied. If you've got it and don't NEED the money out of it, I'd keep it. Not to mention it may make smaller parts easier. I'm designing myself a "watchmakers" lathe but with power and a 2 inch spindle bore. Looking for a motor and speed control online as I type this.

Personal I find having a second lathe handy . even if you are not building small engines you still need smallish parts.

like any other shop decision you are the one that needs to choose.
I would say pick a model you want to build and build it. Use what feels comfortable and right . After building a couple engines you will either use the smal lathe or not . if you find yourself not using it sell it

some guys like having two or sometimes three sets of machines a small mill and lathe a medium set and a large. You need to do what is right for you.
Tin

I use my second lathe for lapping and other dirty work that I don't want to put on my "good" lathe. I also use it for metric threading, since the "good" one only does inch threads. Finally, the "bad" lathe (Colchester Chipmaster) has a clutch and a VFD, and I can thereby slow it way down and stop it on a dime for things like spring winding. The "bad" lathe is not really that bad, just more worn out and not as beefy as the "good" machine.

Put the little lathe on Craigslist for sale. After a couple of wackos inquiring about it you will wind up keeping it and be happy in doing so.
I find collets make small jobs on big lathes much more comfortable.

Put the little lathe on Craigslist for sale. After a couple of wackos inquiring about it you will wind up keeping it and be happy in doing so.
I find collets make small jobs on big lathes much more comfortable.

:D:D Not to mention how they somehow don't have the full amount asked would I take what they brought...

Appreciate the motivation to keep it. who knows, if it sits unused but pristine for a few years..prices go up, maybe then I would not lose $ on it.

Also, I am not self-convinced that the extra tooling it would bring if selling it, would help me do anything better, that experience wont do, with what I have.

Latest posts

Back