Have you ever felt lazy or no longer interested to build engines ?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have always wanted to build my own engines, but did not get serious about it until a few years ago.

These days, this hobby is like rest and relaxation for me, and a way to tune out the merry go round of political/Covid/work problems that never ceases.
I am really at my happiest when I am designing, machining or casting an engine, since it forces me to focus on just one thing, and forget about all the problems of the world.

And the anticipation of how an engine may turn out is also a lot of fun.
One never really knows if an engine will run and operate properly until the end.
Nothing quite like a "first run".

Its a great hobby for sure, and I have met some very nice folks in this hobby who are so very helpful.

This string has been like looking in a mirror for me. Someone once advised me to go to the shop for at least a few minutes every single day. It doesn't magically solve the problem, but it does help.

I made a big mistake two months ago and bought a new motorbike. A Royal Enfield Continental GT 650, it has been demanding a lot of my time and I have sore cheeks from smiling so much.
IMG_2343.JPG

Yep. My modeling time is around Oct. to April, the cooler months in Arizona. After 6 months of this and the coming heat.... I have had enough till the next season. At it since 2006. Somewhat concerned that I will run out of uniqueness, innovation and ideas on my take on model engineering. It is OK though. I have built a legacy that endures after I stop and the engines are documented here and on social media. Someone's gonna be happy at my estate sale someday! ;) Dave.

I took a big break and almost sold up my workshop kit when my marriage went down the pan. I sometimes wondered if less time in the shop would've saved it (I only ever did 2 hours in the shop, once or twice a week). It turned out the workshop wasn't the problem, a dull ex with no Interests was. Six months in with somebody new, who loves to try anything and I've had her in the workshop, under careful instruction she made one of the parts for a Boll Aero 18. She was so pleased with it she took it to show the girls at work.
Getting someone else involved often helps, myself and a friend have been collaborating on the boll aeros & that's a good way to gain pointers along the way
Too much workshop time and I'll make mistakes & stop enjoying it so I mix it up with mountain biking, hiking, and motorbikes

WOW Looks like you've found NIRVANA
For myself I haven't got far enough with my workshop build to even start a project but I seem to have lost a bit of get up and go about that,I have the electrics installed now to power the various tools I hope to install but seem to have stalled on the work surface build but I'm sure my enthusiasm will return when I manage to get the garden in some kind of order now some fine weather as arrived early this year. Isn't there always something to distract you

What stops me is when I encounter difficulties or made an error. Then I think and overthink the next operation but lack the motivation to get "back in the saddle" so to speak.

I usually have about 3 - 4 different model projects going at the same time. When I get frustrated on a particular build I just change to a different one while thinking how to solve the first one. Or I change entirely from building models to restoring Vintage Motorcycles. This works quite well for me.

I took a big break and almost sold up my workshop kit when my marriage went down the pan. I sometimes wondered if less time in the shop would've saved it (I only ever did 2 hours in the shop, once or twice a week). It turned out the workshop wasn't the problem, a dull ex with no Interests was. Six months in with somebody new, who loves to try anything and I've had her in the workshop, under careful instruction she made one of the parts for a Boll Aero 18. She was so pleased with it she took it to show the girls at work.
Getting someone else involved often helps, myself and a friend have been collaborating on the boll aeros & that's a good way to gain pointers along the way
Too much workshop time and I'll make mistakes & stop enjoying it so I mix it up with mountain biking, hiking, and motorbikes
My brother lost his wife due to him spending all of his non-work time in his woodworking shop.
I try to balance everything I do with the wife, and I intentionally avoid most hobbies that can only be done by one person.
My wife and I bike ride, motorcycle ride, hike, jog, swim, together; and just driving around in rural areas looking at old stuff/buildings.
My wife, neighbors, and friends will watch when I do foundry work.

I make sure that my shop time ends at dinner time, and we go out and eat or something, otherwise I would be just like my brother and basically never leave the shop.

As with all things in life there must be a balance.

Often times I go through a lot of thought and reflection when I am not in the shop, and figure out how to do something I was having a problem with, or figure out a better way to machine something.

What stops me is when I encounter difficulties or made an error. Then I think and overthink the next operation but lack the motivation to get "back in the saddle" so to speak.
This has happened to me while trying to learn machining, and trying to learn 3D modeling.
While machining, I would get super tense as I was nearing completion of a part.
Invariably, just as I was about to finish the last machining step on a part, the bit would snag and throw the part out of the machine, ruining the bit and the part in the process.

And in 3D modeling, the same thing can happen, ie: if you don't build your model from the ground up correctly, then basically you have build a house-of-cards, and all of a sudden you make one change, and the whole model blows up, and cannot be corrected.
In 3D, I call it "getting stuck", and in the past I was sometimes stuck for months before I found a solution to a problem.

These days I really don't get stuck in 3D modeling very much. I had a few tight spots in the Olds Type "R" model but quickly resolved those.
And with machining, I have a good feel for how to grip/support a part, and how much pressure to apply to the cutting tool, and so I seldom ruin any more castings.

The way I see it, one is creating tools (of knowledge), and as each new tool is mastered, you put it in your knowledge toolbag.
It is all very small baby steps, but at the end of a year or two, you can obtain a very sizable amount of valuable knowledge and techniques.

It is very much akin to climbing a mountain (12,500 ft is the tallest I have climbed).
The going can be very difficult and treacherous, with slips, slides, falls, and some very arduous going.
One basically feels like one will never reach the summit, even though it is in plain view during the entire climb.

Finally, one takes those last few steps, and there you are on top of a very tall point, with a rather magnificent view in all directions.
Reaching the peak is definitely worth the climb in my opinion, but the hike is often grueling.

No pain, no gain, as they say.

rImg_0634.jpg

rIMG_9789.jpg

rIMG_9795.jpg

................ but seem to have stalled on the work surface build but I'm sure my enthusiasm will return........................
For years and years, I have used recycled solid core exterior doors that have an oak veneer outside layer for all my work bench tops. Here in the US, they are 1.75" thick, require almost no reinforcing underneath, and are reasonably cheap, and very heavy and sturdy. This is one for a bench-top mill-drill with drawers and a roll-out scrap metal bin underneath.
SolidCoreDoorBenchTop.jpg

For years and years, I have used recycled solid core exterior doors that have an oak veneer outside layer for all my work bench tops. Here in the US, they are 1.75" thick, require almost no reinforcing underneath, and are reasonably cheap, and very heavy and sturdy. This is one for a bench-top mill-drill with drawers and a roll-out scrap metal bin underneath.
View attachment 135415
Unfortunately in the uk our external doors don't seem to be made to the same standard or even are flat all over as yours seem to be they would be a great choice if available in the uk. part of the reason for the stall was the escalating price of boarding

OSB 8X4 was £17.00 now £34.00
3/4 ply 8x4 was £24.00 now £42.00

I used the last three half sheets ie 2x8 of OSB I had to build my platform for my lathe I put one on the wooden floor to strengthen then built a hefty wooden frame and put two half sheets on top of that trying to get some sort of rigidity to mount the lathe to, then I have none left to continue to the rest of the work tops.
Our reclamation yards are not very good over here and few and far between, but I have bit the bullet and bought one 8x4 sheet of ply which will complete my work tops when I manage to get back to the job in hand.

Oh my GOD, someone else in also having my problem!! Haven't been in the shop for 3 months!
It's just a hobby so I there is nothing I'm doing that HAS to be done. I have walked out to the shop, turned on the lights, setup the mill, drilled the first hole the wrong size, shut off the lights, and gone back in the house. Who cares. Try again tomorrow and get many hours or productive time in. If you are struggling or just don't feel like it, don't! Keeps it more fun and that will keep you from getting burned out.

Unfortunately in the uk our external doors don't seem to be made to the same standard or even are flat all over as yours seem to be they would be a great choice if available in the uk. part of the reason for the stall was the escalating price of boarding

OSB 8X4 was £17.00 now £34.00
3/4 ply 8x4 was £24.00 now £42.00

Yes, prices of building materials are a bit up there right now. When you laminate the sheets of OSB, or whatever, together, if you can spread a liberal layer of glue between the sheets it will almost double the final stiffness, compared to doing it without the glue.

For the recycled building materials, one new place that my wife discovered is on Facebook. There is a local "Buy Nothing" Facebook Group that she belongs to where you just post stuff you want to get rid off. Every week or two she will find something, like a half sheet of plywood, or a remnant of countertop, or some chicken wire, that someone doesn't want. She'll ask me about it right away because the good stuff goes fast, and if you respond with "I can come over right now," it usually works. I actually got a gas powered leaf blower, and an old pinball machine. You never know. She gives away lots of perennials when she divides up over-grown plantings in the spring and fall.
You KNOW that someone has just that piece of left-over material that you need. You just have to find it! Driving around the morning of trash-bin pickup day might find some real treasures.

Green Twin,
SERIOUS casting operation you've got there! NICE!
Thanks much.
Casting your own engine parts in gray iron is highly additive, not to mention just loads of fun.
I absolutely love the foundry hobby.

I generally use a #10 crucible, which is good for about 25 lbs of iron, but I have a #30 which will hold about 75 lbs iron, and thus the pouring cart.

And I pick up all sorts of things in the neighborhood; and some of it very good stuff too.
Its amazing what people will throw away.

Pat J

00041.jpg

Green Twin,
SERIOUS casting operation you've got there! NICE!

Casting your own engine parts in gray iron is highly additive, not to mention just loads of fun.
I absolutely love the foundry hobby.

OK Pat. I didn't realize you were casting grey iron. That makes it a DOUBLY SERIOUS operation, LOL.

It's just a hobby so I there is nothing I'm doing that HAS to be done. I have walked out to the shop, turned on the lights, setup the mill, drilled the first hole the wrong size, shut off the lights, and gone back in the house. Who cares. Try again tomorrow and get many hours or productive time in. If you are struggling or just don't feel like it, don't! Keeps it more fun and that will keep you from getting burned out.
Thank You Steve, your words are inspiring, I still need a kick in the Ass..........but, I"ll get there, this forum has been a GodSend.
MikeG

Yep. My modeling time is around Oct. to April, the cooler months in Arizona. After 6 months of this and the coming heat.... I have had enough till the next season. At it since 2006. Somewhat concerned that I will run out of uniqueness, innovation and ideas on my take on model engineering. It is OK though. I have built a legacy that endures after I stop and the engines are documented here and on social media. Someone's gonna be happy at my estate sale someday! ;) Dave.
I think wit all hobby’s you have to take a break. Drag racing it was a long drive every eeeken race then come home we worked all winter on updates and building new motors and getting ready for the next season the end of the year was a welcome relief for a while . I built and flew Rc models for a long time I took days off to play and coach kids sports and play myself there was always conditioning and practicing. But there was family times too . This new hobby has been very challenging but there are times when I just sit back and be retired I’d love to play baseball again but I know it would be dangerous. I’d love to have kept my dog but I had to give her up as I migh drop dead and she would not have had a good home my kitty is my pet today and she is a mental thing for me she curls up on my lap and loves to be brushed and groomed so a perfect break from steaming . I’ve been a full throttle person all my life. It’s time to take a break occasionally .

Byron

Back