Quantcast

Have you ever been here?

Help Support HMEM:

JimDobson

Reaction score
You're doing a few hours on the lathe, everything is coming together and the parts are slowly building up and you're doing lots of different operations.

Then all of a sudden the lathe isn't cutting right, you check everything and then everything once again. You start to think "What the hell has happened to the lathe"?

You keep looking for what has happened and why you can't make a simple cut??????......and then you notice it.

The motor is in reverse

deeferdog

Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
Happened to me yesterday whilst working on a flywheel, do you think it's because we are in the Southern hemisphere?

dieselpilot

Reaction score
It's more fun when you do it on the CNC and kill three inserts in a row as quickly as you can change them, because you replaced a boring bar with the opposite hand version and forgot to edit M3/4.

werowance

HMEM Supporter
Reaction score
yep, I usually figure it out after I chip the tip off a carbide insert. I hate when that happens....

cwelkie

Reaction score
End mills don't work so well after a hi/lo speed range change and forgeting to change the motor direction either

john_k

Reaction score
I saw this done many years ago - the machine was a big American M/c Tools CNC slant bed chucking lathe (18" Cushman hydraulic chuck) - turning a cast steel valve body. Operator changed the insert in the tool, started the spindle backwards and pressed the green button. Horrible noise, bye-bye turning tool.

k2steve

HMEM Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
We had a threading machine that was wired wrong and every six months when I would use it, it got me.

Latest posts