hauling a small mill

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe 15 years ago I put a vfd on a Bridgeport model M head. Worked great but drove my Shooting Star digitalis nuts even with shielding. Ended up removing the vfd cause the digital scales were more valuable to me than the speed control. Probably not a problem with more high end scales and more modern vfds. Is this still a problem?

I now have 3 phase power but the electronic speed control was nice. Is there a slick electronic way to controll the speed of the mill? Not a fan of changing belts.

Single phase motors over 1 HP suck. Capacitors and starter switches to deal with; and they don't run as smooth as three phase. At home I run an 240 VAC RPC for my Bridgeport, 13" South Bend and Diamond B12 horizontal mill. At the vacation cabin the Diamond 22M is running on the 240 VAC VFD. A Rusnok 70 head on Taiwanese Rusnok knock off base uses a 190 VDC motor with a 240 VAC primary speed controller. The 120 VAC fractional single phase motors run the little Rockwell band saw, and other small power tools.

if you haul it in the back of the pickup, unless you have it tethered well, make sure it is as far forward as it can go because if you don't, it will be at the first quick stop.

My friend and I shifted this shaper this way, but it was light compared to the Lathe and Mill transported the same way, lathe one ton but were able to take bits off.
Ted from down under

Attachments

• 20201030_092318(1).jpg
    20201030_092318(1).jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 203

Latest posts

Back