Harvard/Stickney Jr Model

Help Support HMEM:

JPar

HMEM Supporter
Reaction score
Hello. I've acquired a Harvard (also called Stickney Jr.) model that was built from a casting kit from BP Machine. I think these kits were sold about 20 years ago, but are no longer available.

This model is mostly complete, but has some issues. For starters, the cylinder was not drilled/tapped for an oiler or for a spark plug (N.B., it is fitted with a mechanical ignitor for spark). Also, the timing gear on the eccentric shaft is not keyed, as called for in the plans. So I've decided to completely disassemble the engine and go through it piece by piece, checking out everything before I re-assemble it. Luckily, I received a set of drawings with the engine, along with several pages of notes.

I'm sure I'll have many questions as I do, and so I'm wondering if anyone here has built, or currently owns one of these models.

Thanks,
John

StickneyJr.jpg

Engineville

Reaction score
John:
I currently own one of these models which I bought some 18 years ago at the Florida Flywheelers Swap Meet. Additionally, some 10 years ago I actually saw one of these engines running at an engine show at Lafayette, Indiana. This gentleman spoke of spending several years learning how to make it run. If you care to, I can correspond with you about this model engine off-line. I would much enjoy such a conversation.
Marion
Engineville

JPar

HMEM Supporter
Reaction score
John:
Additionally, some 10 years ago I actually saw one of these engines running at an engine show at Lafayette, Indiana.
I saw one of these running at the Portland Indiana show in August 1997. It was shown by the owner of BP Machine, the company that sold the castings. I've also seen at least one of them running in a video. So it is possible to get them to run.

John:
If you care to, I can correspond with you about this model engine off-line. I would much enjoy such a conversation.
Marion
Thank you! I'll send you a PM to get the conversation started.
John

idahoan

Reaction score
My buddy built one a few year back from a set of castings that I had and he talked me out of.
It runs real nice on the ignitor.

Dave

Attachments

JPar

HMEM Supporter
Reaction score
Dave, that's a really nice looking model. Is the coil (the one under the tank) functional, or just for show?
John

idahoan

Reaction score
Hi John

The coil is functional, I think this is the second one that he made. The first one was smaller but got too hot if I remember correctly.

Dave

JPar

HMEM Supporter
Reaction score
Pretty well reduced to bits now. I was really happy that the main valve body (i.e. head) and cylinder sleeve were relatively easy to remove. This will make it much easier to add holes for a spark plug and cylinder lubricator. The connecting rod has an offset of approximately 0.100", which I guess was done to compensate for a mis-alignment of the cylinder bore and crank throw. I'm still working out exactly why this was needed. On the drawing, the connecting rod is perfectly straight with no offset.
John
AllApart2.jpg

idahoan

Reaction score
Spark Plug? Why not use the ignitor that is part of the engine?

Dave

JPar

HMEM Supporter
Reaction score
Spark Plug? Why not use the ignitor that is part of the engine?
The spark plug port is called for on the drawing, so I thought I might as well put it in while the engine is apart. If the ignitor proves troublesome, I'll still be able to run the engine and have fun taking it to shows. If the ignitor works without issues, I can always put a plug in the hole. Or, I could fit a non-functional model of the hot tube set up like the original engine had. The spark plug port is located in just the right place for it.
John

idahoan

Reaction score
I see, yes I had forgot that it goes where the hot tube would have been.

Dave

JPar

HMEM Supporter
Reaction score
Does anyone have a close-up of the top of the engine, like the picture below? I think there should be something to hold the valve cage down, and would like to confirm this. Whatever it is, is missing on my engine.
John

IMG_20200314_125854233.jpg

Latest posts

Group Builder