• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeModelEngineMachinist and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

For Sale HARDINGE HLVH-EM LATHE FOR SALE

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harglo

Reaction score
Lathe is part of an estate.
I don't know much about it. Machine seems to function as it should. Carriage, cross, compound, tail stock ram all are smooth. Both english an metric threading. No messing around to change gears for metric threading its right there in the thread change gear box - very nice.
threading knock out threading lever seems stiff lathe been storage for a long time so suspect some lube needed. Comes with 3, an 4 jaw, tail stock chucks, several 5C collects, draw bar, looks as new an Aloris type AXA size quick change tool post an several holders. I can load machine for pick up in MD. Ebay has these same model lathes just under $20k to near $30K. An then most likely sales tax. $15K is assigned to this machine. As the messenger here it will be sold as is where is just like as if it where at a live auction. Em new at this form. Any questions will try to respond.

Attachments

• 20210724_083056_resized.jpg
    20210724_083056_resized.jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 663
  • 20210724_083105_resized.jpg
    20210724_083105_resized.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 574
  • 20210724_083113_resized.jpg
    20210724_083113_resized.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 587
  • 20210724_083119_resized.jpg
    20210724_083119_resized.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 538
  • 20210724_083125_resized.jpg
    20210724_083125_resized.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 539
  • 20210724_083133_resized.jpg
    20210724_083133_resized.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 538
  • 20210724_083217_resized.jpg
    20210724_083217_resized.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 552
  • 20210724_083223_resized.jpg
    20210724_083223_resized.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 515
Last edited:
What voltage is this lathe and are there any facilities to load it?
Bob
Hi Bob
Its a 440 volt machine. The control transformer is most cases can be reconnected to 220v. In any case the secondary is usually 120v to run all the electrics an you can house voltage for that. I purchased a transformer to try the machine which has a 440v output. I can load the lathe on truck or trailer with forklift. Thanks Harvey

my email is [email protected]

Lathe is part of an estate.
I don't know much about it. Machine seems to function as it should. Carriage, cross, compound, tail stock ram all are smooth. Both english an metric threading. No messing around to change gears for metric threading its right there in the thread change gear box - very nice.
threading knock out threading lever seems stiff lathe been storage for a long time so suspect some lube needed. Comes with 3, an 4 jaw, tail stock chucks, several 5C collects, draw bar, looks as new an Aloris type AXA size quick change tool post an several holders. I can load machine for pick up in MD. Ebay has these same model lathes just under $20k to near $30K. An then most likely sales tax. $15K is assigned to this machine. As the messenger here it will be sold as is where is just like as if it where at a live auction. Em new at this form. Any questions will try to respond.
Owners of this lathe want to reduce price to $13K.

They are nice lathes indeed. I fell into one a long time ago when I had some (a lot) of play money that was going to be reallocated if I didn't spend it.... This machine being sole here has been repainted and typically was originally fitted with an Accurite DRO. I am actually surprised the owners didn't put a DRO on it, but that is fine. It looks to be well tooled and one of the nice things (at least on mine) is that I could raise the lower collet tray. This allowed me to put a shelf in there so that I could store more tooling.

One of the interesting things about the lathe is that the compound and tailstock have a planetary gear setup in it so that you can directly read inch or metric (two different dials that run at different speeds) travel. This, by the way, is why there was generally (maybe always) a DRO sold with the machines. Both the cross and apron feeds only had a "normal" dial with a single unit. The reason, of course, is that the DRO axis provided positional information for those.

One thing you should *definitely* check.... Inside the gearbox you *must* have a 127 tooth gear. Normally that would be left in place, but the gearbox is there for those that have some oddball size that they want to cut, the gearing for which couldn't be found on the selector. In that case, you'd still use the gearbox and change gears. In the end, the metric selector (the second handle on the box) does nothing more than switch in and out that 127 tooth gear. So, it is important to remember to check for that gear as it is incredibly expensive. This particular machine looks to be well tooled so I'm guessing the owner would disclose the lack of the 127 tooth gear, but it is good to verify. Usually auction machines have tooling striped off, and it certainly is feasibly that the gear either had been removed or had been swiped by someone along the way.

Best of luck with the sale. Given the tooling, it seems like a pretty good price. That said, the repaint is always something to consider. It might mean nothing at all though.

A Hardinge is a pretty well understood machine, and there are some incredibly skilled machinists in this forum. Even so, I'm happy to answer any probing questions, to the best of my ability (I am an *amateur* machinist, not a professional one) that someone may have about the E/M machine. I have no connection to the seller or, for that matter, the lister, of this machine.

Last edited:
They are nice lathes indeed. I fell into one a long time ago when I had some (a lot) of play money that was going to be reallocated if I didn't spend it.... This machine being sole here has been repainted and typically was originally fitted with an Accurite DRO. I am actually surprised the owners didn't put a DRO on it, but that is fine. It looks to be well tooled and one of the nice things (at least on mine) is that I could raise the lower collet tray. This allowed me to put a shelf in there so that I could store more tooling.

One of the interesting things about the lathe is that the compound and tailstock have a planetary gear setup in it so that you can directly read inch or metric (two different dials that run at different speeds) travel. This, by the way, is why there was generally (maybe always) a DRO sold with the machines. Both the cross and apron feeds only had a "normal" dial with a single unit. The reason, of course, is that the DRO axis provided positional information for those.

One thing you should *definitely* check.... Inside the gearbox you *must* have a 127 tooth gear. Normally that would be left in place, but the gearbox is there for those that have some oddball size that they want to cut, the gearing for which couldn't be found on the selector. In that case, you'd still use the gearbox and change gears. In the end, the metric selector (the second handle on the box) does nothing more than switch in and out that 127 tooth gear. So, it is important to remember to check for that gear as it is incredibly expensive. This particular machine looks to be well tooled so I'm guessing the owner would disclose the lack of the 127 tooth gear, but it is good to verify. Usually auction machines have tooling striped off, and it certainly is feasibly that the gear either had been removed or had been swiped by someone along the way.

Best of luck with the sale. Given the tooling, it seems like a pretty good price. That said, the repaint is always something to consider. It might mean nothing at all though.

A Hardinge is a pretty well understood machine, and there are some incredibly skilled machinists in this forum. Even so, I'm happy to answer any probing questions, to the best of my ability (I am an *amateur* machinist, not a professional one) that someone may have about the E/M machine. I have no connection to the seller or, for that matter, the lister, of this machine.
I just wish that someone would provide me some contact information for this seller. I would dearly love to own this machine but, despite several requests, no one has given me any contact information. The email that was supplied, both corrected and original were used by me to supposedly contact the seller but I have had no response. Please, if someone knows a tele # or good contact information, please email it to me at [email protected] or [email protected], or better, both. Thanks, Mike DiGirolamo, Charlottesville, VA

I just wish that someone would provide me some contact information for this seller. I would dearly love to own this machine but, despite several requests, no one has given me any contact information. The email that was supplied, both corrected and original were used by me to supposedly contact the seller but I have had no response. Please, if someone knows a tele # or good contact information, please email it to me at [email protected] or [email protected], or better, both. Thanks, Mike DiGirolamo, Charlottesville, VA
Hello Sir
Em the person that is helping out selling the above hardinge. Em new in using this form an I my responses may not have been realized. Any way lets try again. my email is [email protected] Be happy to try to answer your questions.
Thanks
Harvey

Latest posts

Back