Handbook on The Steam Engine by Haeder & Powles

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

django

Reaction score
I hope I'm not breaking any forum rules (I'm sure you moderators will chastise me if I am) but several years ago I was given a pristine copy of the Handbook on the steam engine by Haeder & Powles which was published well over 100 years ago but at the time really was THE book on state-of-the-art design/construction and techincal aspects of steam engines and boilers when steam was king. This book is now out of Copyright and I have now made it available by using a high quality scanner and transfering these images to CD. This book is a must for any designer/builder or enthusiast. If you are interested in purchasing a copy (at cost to me) either PM keep a look out on EBAY.

Cheers Paul

You might want to search Google Books, you can download it as a .pdf file for free there.

Ron

I didn't want to seem rude, but I was wondering about that.

There are three copies available as pdf's for a free download from google books. One 1893, one 1896, and one from 1902. Seems each edition added a few more pages.

You're right Ron but it doesn't have any diagrams which really defeats the object doesn't it?

I'm not sure which book you are looking at. perhaps you are refering to the 'text only' version. The three books have pictures and drawings on just about every other page. I have built a personal library of sorts with the pdf's from google books. I've got about 50 printed out and hole punched and placed in binders, with a few hundred more to go. I should be finished printing them in about 2 more years. ;D

Kermit

Meant no offense, just pointing it out. Your right Kermit, I download lots of books from there. I don't know if I'll ever get read them all. :big: :big: :big:

Ron

You're right Ron! there's a wasted evening for ya :wall: :wall: Rof} Rof}

Paul:
when you get a change post an intro with a little background about yourself in the welcome area.
Selling digital copies of stuff can be tough because as the folks have pointed out there is many volumes and sources for free downloads. you may get a few takers who have a dial-up connection or realize they can buy several hours work of research for a few bucks.
since you opened yourself to a teaching moment.
I hope I'm not breaking any forum rules (I'm sure you moderators will chastise me if I am)
Anything for sale, trade, or wanted to buy,or trade for, should be posted in the buy sell /trade /area.
Tin

Kermit,

Went to Google Books. I couldn't find the .pdf version. All I found was that you can buy the book. How does one go about finding the .pdf version for download.

Thanks.

Bernd

Worked for me Kermit. Got it downloaded and saved.

Thanks a million.

Bernd

Nice books. Wound up downloading a few more. Now all I need to do is get a new printer cartridge and a box of paper to print the books out.

Thanks Kermit, I got it too :bow: On dial-up :big: Took about 2 hours.

Cheers,
Phil

just downloaded myself added to my E-book library. Phil you really need to think about DSL took less than 5 minutes.
Tin

Tin you are right about DSL for any number of reasons. But remember I only took the same 5 minutes that you did in typing in the necessary commands. Two hours later I came back to the computer and there it is. Meanwhile, I have the advantage that I don't need to go to the phone to answer those pesky telemarketers, or worse annoying relatives looking for some free favors :big: :big: :big:

Cheers,
Phil

Do I have to be loged into Google to download as I dont see the PDF button :(

cheers Graham

Back