Hand Tapper pricing - Buyer beware

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Morrow

Reaction score
After tapping 170 holes in my new tooling plate, I decided that my hand tapping machine could be a little better. All I really need was a proper collet set but a more robust machine wouldn't hurt. A tapping head is out because I almost never tap more than a 5 - 10 holes at once.

I watched a few Youtube videos and decided on one that is available from Grizzly, Enco, and Little Machine Shop. From the photo's and spec's on their respective web sites, they all appear to sell exactly the same model. But, what is surprising is how much the prices varied.

Enco ( "Guaranteed Lowest Prices" ) Model 318-0007 : $313.77
Little Machine Shop, Model 2539 : $149.95
Grizzly Tools, Model G8748 : $99.95

Why not a column which takes a stand of sorts and two small conrods?

I once wrote this up when I had a set of rods out a scrapped 997cc Mini Cooper engine

Not as daft as first imagined

Norman

Not too sure what you mean.

But, the purpose of my post was for those who have already made a decision to buy, to check around on pricing.

I made one from an old drill press I found in a junk store for just a few dollars. I used the column, head and the table. I made a simple rod as a spindle, with a handle on top. Instead of collets I bought 3 sizes of tap wrenches, cut off the handles and turned them to fit my spindle rod. It works great, I don't think I have ever broken a tap when it was held in the head and kept straight.

Hi Ron,

Based on the pictures provided by the three retailers, the Grizzley one wins. My guess is this - Grizzley tend to buy in greater numbers, although varied items, from their suppliers therefore quantity sales verses profit, whereas the others are possibly smaller dealers.

Pricing of items for retail are not as logical as one might think so unless the tool needs to be specifically made of high class materials etc, then the choice becomes easier.

Looking at the pictures, the tool appears have been manufactured from the same source but badged differently, so unless there are some minor finishing details, the Grizzley one looks like good value in comparison.

If you were buying a 3/8 end mill, the cost would be from 1$ to $500 (sic)based on the material specs and quality, this tool does not come into that bracket of concern. If the spindle is supported by a pair of opposed taper races or a drilled hole in a piece of cast, then there would be reason for a this price difference, but I think they are the same, perhaps you like the green one better than the blue one, the choice is yours.

Hope that helps.
Steve

I know you are pointing out price comparisons of what may likely be the exact same thing just different color. I've noticed the same with other import tooling. Right now I'm eyeing tool & cutter grinders with widely ranging prices. Difficult to say from pictures alone but I just cant imagine these machines draw from a diverse supply chain. There seem to be Deckels (6K$) Taiwanese clones of Deckels (2K$) and Chinese clones of Taiwan clones (1K$) in 7 different colors.

Back to tapping. At those prices, you are approaching the cost of import tapping heads. Not sure what the USA catalogs show but 2 models of potential interest. I cant say if they are good or not, just another consideration data point.

- model 2600-4002 #0-1/4” 340$C = 260$U
- model 2600-4012 #4-1/2” 420$C = 320 $U
http://www.accusizetools.ca/products_details.asp?big=5&small=37&proid=268

I also used to be squeamish about power tapping & now I do it routinely. My mill is a gearhead & its lowest speed is still not super low. If I'm worried about a deep thread being problematic, I will still power tap but only to a certain depth, pop up the quill & finish by hand. The biggest thing I discovered was high quality taps that eject chips from top. They seem to make a world of difference over my classic chips-to-the bottom. I know both are intended for different applications but there is nothing like seeing 3 swirls of metal come out & less torque required.

Latest posts

Back