Hand Collet Closer for Clausing 5904

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drew

Reaction score
Hello,

I have an old Atlas Clausing 5904 lathe. It works well, for the most part, but I have had a hard time finding some items for it. Particularly a collet closer. The lathe has a 4.5 Morse taper in the spindle nose.
I have seen pictures of a 5C adapter for this taper, but haven't been able to find one.
So I decided just to make one, along with the rest of the thing.
I bought a replacement draw-tube on E-Bay, long enough to cut down.
I had a tool steel round and I grabbed a piece of scrap aluminum from work.

First I drilled the round on the lathe then cleaned up the end.
Next I figured out the approximate length and Ø I needed for the taper end.
After turning it close to the large size, I calculated the taper and set my compound using a dial test indicator.
The tool was repositioned and the taper carefully cut, finishing to the high side of what I needed.
From there a little judicious sanding and I had a really nice smooth taper. Also finished was the shoulder and major diameter beyond the taper.
I proceeded to remove the chuck and carefully wipe the spindle nose and bore. then lightly sanded some minor dings out and installed the adapter.
A quick check with the indicator to ensure squareness and concentric of the seating.
Next I bored it out to accept the 5C collet, then setup the compound for 9.5 deg and cut the angle back far enough to get the collet where I wanted it. Then I trimmed off the face and chamfered the edges.

I checked the length of the tube against the fit of the sleeve and cut it off with enough for adjust ability and
width of a handle.
Cleaned up the end, turned the OD and treaded it.
Next I turned the handle. Starting with the face then hole and thread.
After verifying the thread fit with the tube, I preceded to kind of freehand the rest of the handle.

Here are some pictures.
Thanks for letting me share.
IMG_2825.JPG
IMG_2825.JPG
IMG_2827.JPG
IMG_2828.JPG

No thanks required. We in fact, thank you for sharing. Ideas generate more ideas so we are the winners.

Back