Hafco hm50g lathe and super x3, 4 axis mill converted to cnc

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcfreak177

Reaction score
G'day All. I thought that I might show off my mini lathe and mill which I have converted to cnc. It has been a long winded project(12 months) but I am nearly there. Both machines are running ball screws all round. The lathe proved to be a real challenge because I wanted the x axis screw to be mounted in the original location which required some fine tuning to fit the 6mm nsk gear in there. all in all I am very happy with the result and the accuracy of both machines. the next project is to compleate some machine guards to stop the illusive flying swarf issue, especially the mill wich has a 4000rpm spindle. I also picked up a valve refacing/Injector service machine (Merlin NR2)
in excellent working order for $200aus, which I plan on modifying to grind mini crankshafts, valves and seats etc for my 1/4 scale v8 build. http://s897.photobucket.com/albums/ac174/rcfreak177/machine shop pics/

thanks, I have started making the cylinder heads, they are coming along well, I will post a new thread on my 1/4 scale v8 build tomorrow. with more pictures of course.

Hi rc
is your Merlin similar to this?

P6100454.JPG

Hello Tombstone,

Yes my Merlin is is the same as the picture you supplied, but my machine is grey.
The people I purchased it off did not know what it was. I will have to do some major modification in order to grind crankshafts. Do you have an operator manual by any chance? i am looking for one.

Hi RC
A mate of mine who has an engineering company said that many years ago he had a contract to service a diesel generator part of which was to reface valve seats with stellite then regrind valve faces with one of these machines apparently they were supplied as part of a service kit for large diesel engine apps. so if you bought 6 diesels you got 6 grinders. I have taken 2 Jacobs chucks of mine these were used to support the end of long valve stems. I was thinking of converting mine to a cutter grinder to tackle the growing box of nackered cutters but if you check WIP Whittle V8 I could probably use a crank grinder am going to try it! I have the Merlin manual & an Epson printer scanner but have not used scanner yet I should be able to get manual to you either in 1 hit or drip feed a page at a time
Regards Ray

Wicked That would be great, Give me a shout when you are ready and I will give you my email address. That is an interesting story behind the deisel engine service kit, it is a different story thease days, I repair Cummins QST30 and QSK60 engines which are fitted to Terex blast hole drills and Komatsu 830E haul trucks and found even getting a Cummins stubbie cooler or cap is like getting blood from a stone.
I do believe thease machines are quite sought after and in good condition may be worth in exess of $2000AUS, I belive I have a piece of history in my Workshop and all gear will one day belong to my son. (he is a major petrol head too)

Hi all

I have been a bit lazy in the home workshop lately due to commencement of new employment. I am all settled in now so work on my 1/4 scale V8 and also more machine mods will be re engaged. I have managed to build an enclosure for my mill, Hopefully this will stop the swarf flying all around my workshop and also stop the coolant getting on my super smooth painted floor. Oh and also my missus slipping over. Pictures will be uploaded shortly.

Barry.

Latest posts

Back