Gus's Rupnow Hit and Miss Engine.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Gus, maybe the timing has moved around, causing the backfiring.

Paul.

Hi Paul

You are right. The cam may have shifted bit by bit weeks ago and engine starting became erratic and not sure fire. Reset cam. Got it running and the hitting & missing working though erratic. Right now the paving breakers in the church across the road are going again and I cannot work in peace. If the breaking stops in an hour or so,will fine tune to make the ''hitting&missing'' more pronounced. Adjust the governor spring knob seems to work. Will clean and take good video short.

In a week or so will start on the Nemett-Lynx. Will challenging and fun.Meanwhile still reading up.

ToolMaker's Chest. Plan to cover when not in use with old towel so as to protect the mint condition. Not sure my aircraft engineer son wants it when I am dead and gone. I get confused with his aero ranking------
Asst.Principlal Engineer. Prior to this he was Senior Engineer. In our manufacturing industry,its engineer, senior engineer,chief engineer/engineering
manager.

Hi Gus, I have been kept busy lately with selling my mothers house, it has severely affected my workshop time, but now the sale is finalised I can start machining again. Like you, the Nemett Lynx is next on my build list, looks like we will be building them together.

Paul.

Reactions: gus
Hi Paul,
Video posted on Facebook. Some trouble shooting required to trace cause of unstable Hitting & Missing. Your expertise is sought.

Gus, I would do the following things to try to find out where the problem lies. When the engine is running, hold down the lever that is actuated by the governor, the motor should speed up, only do this for a brief moment. If the engine runs ok doing this, the problem must be with the governor mechanism, if the motor plays up, then it must be either fuel or spark. Do you have some sort of breather on your fuel tank, air must be able to get in as fuel is drawn out. I had problems with the small gear moving until I pinned it to the shaft, when it moved, it altered the valve timing.

Paul.

Gus, I would do the following things to try to find out where the problem lies. When the engine is running, hold down the lever that is actuated by the governor, the motor should speed up, only do this for a brief moment. If the engine runs ok doing this, the problem must be with the governor mechanism, if the motor plays up, then it must be either fuel or spark. Do you have some sort of breather on your fuel tank, air must be able to get in as fuel is drawn out. I had problems with the small gear moving until I pinned it to the shaft, when it moved, it altered the valve timing.

Paul.

Thanks. Meister.

Will resume trouble shooting Monday. Its weekend fishing.

OK . I got the ''hitting & missing '' going over extended period. Did some ''Ozzie bush engineering''. Use rubber band to steady throttle lever to hold engine speed steady. Stretched governor spring a wee bit. Play with Brass Knob a wee bit. And it happened.I got it.
Was trying to get ''hitting & missing'' going the whole of yesterday morning to to avail. And at
8:30 am the ''h & M'' happened and a bit of fine knob adjustment and throttling.
Will clean up for a ''project completed'' foto.
Thanks to all for the encouragement to get ''h & m'' going. Especially Brian and Paul Swifty.
Thanks to both maestros. Video post on FaceBook.

IMG_0628.jpg

Last edited:
Glad that you got the problems sorted out Gus.

Paul.

Wished I did apprenticeship in Tool & Die Making. I am acquiring machining,fitting and engine tuning skill the uphill way and there will be lots more goofs.

Being a Manufacturing Engineer did not help getting the real hands on experience.

Hard to imagine,I got the ''hitting & missing'' firing this morning.Other than turning some knobs and screws,I did not recall anything else.

Thanks for standing with me. Now DIY ''Multi-Drawer Tool Cabinet to place ToolMaker's Chest on top and free working space on work bench.

Gus--Hit and miss engines were never intended to be ran by a throttled carburetor. The carburetor on a hit and miss engine has no throttle and is intended to run wide open all the time. The rpm is totally controlled by the strength of the governor springs and the weight of the governors. You are fortunate that you got the engine to hit and miss consistently. congratulations, ----Brian

Gus--Hit and miss engines were never intended to be ran by a throttled carburetor. The carburetor on a hit and miss engine has no throttle and is intended to run wide open all the time. The rpm is totally controlled by the strength of the governor springs and the weight of the governors. You are fortunate that you got the engine to hit and miss consistently. congratulations, ----Brian

You are right. Having done a lousy job on the carb,bought OS Carb and this is where my problems begun. The rubber band helped stabilise throttle.

Will clean up and put in your carb later.

Brian. Thanks for the kind help to finish engine .This engine construction was very challenging with old skills polished up and new skills acquired.Other than the two year trade school training,I did not go into machining trade but went into engineering and hence my machining skills at most
below average.

Last edited:
Gus --You have done a marvelous job. No excuses are necessary. You have one of only 3 or 4 completed engines of this type in the entire world. It was a pleasure to work with you, and we had fun. ---And I gained a friend!!!---Brian

Back