Grizzly Mini-mill crash

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fellow members,

George Seal has kindly offered me his set of gears and is probably in the process of packageing them as I type this. He has converted his to a belt drive and has kindly offered me his gear set.

George I want to extend a very big thank you for doing that. :bow: :bow:

Al, I appreciate your wanting to help. Thank you very much. :bow:

Rick, you can be very proud to have started a forum such as this. As very body can see from George's unselfish generosity he is giving me his gear. Not only do we exchange ideas and give advice to our fellow members, but also help them out in time of need for parts. Gives me a nice warm and fuzzy feeling on the inside about the membership here.

Wanting to return such a favor I am offering anybody that gets or has one of these mills and breaks either the top plastic gear or the speed range gear to contact me and I'll send it to you, any were in the world.

I will probably change over to a belt drive before the year is out. I just need to finish up this job for the guy with his race car. He wants to go drag racing in a couple of weeks. The gear will get the machine back up and running in short order.

George, again a million thanks for coming to my rescue. I own you a favor and I won't forget.

Regards,
Bernd

Those speed change gears are designed to fail :( Three of 'em later the penny finally dropped with me and I made the belt drive kit. Fitted it a couple of weeks back and it's a whole different machine. No longer walking on egg shells all the time it's in use.

403266187_57745c29d8.jpg

This is t'other gotta have on the mini mill

Don't know if I am lucky very careful or don't make as many chips as others but in 5 years have not broken any gears on the mini mill. Upgraded to the Ron Steele pulley kit from LMS in January. It way cuts down on the noise. While at my buddies sewing machine shop he gave me a couple of spare belts. reinforced urethane with the broken segments inside a bit noisier than the solid gates but still much better than the gears.
BTW McMaster Carr stocks the Gates spares.
Tin

Tin,

You got the part number for McMaster Carr on those belts?

Tel... did you design that powerfeed or did you build it from plans?

Eric

Brass machine
The belt is a Gates 0130 ,Trade size 2L130 McMaster Carr # 7881K14 IIRC they are about $4.00 each
Tin

Brass_Machine said:
Tin,

You got the part number for McMaster Carr on those belts?

Tel... did you design that powerfeed or did you build it from plans?

Eric

No plans mate, just put it together from bits and pieces I had on hand. Works very well and saves a lot of winding.

Only cost was $20 for a power supply off ebay

My early Xmas present arrived today from George Seal. Not only did he send one gear set but two of the range gears and three of the upper set. Although one is slightly used. ::) :big:

George a big thank you goes out to you in helping a fellow member in time of need. :bow: :bow:

Oh, almost forgot. Here's what George sent me.
crash5.jpg

That will close this part of the story for now.

Bernd

We call ourselves a "Hobby Community" here.

Seeing a neighbor helping out another just makes it real.

I thank you George!

Rick

I just got the mill back together and it's running fine. Thanks to George I don't have to wait till June for the gears. :bow: :bow: :bow:

Next time it'll be a change over to the belt drive and I'll gladly donate the gears to the next fellow who has this happen to them.

Bernd

Back