Grizzley G0885 band saw

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nx06563

HMEM Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just pulled a trick with my new Grizzley G0885 band saw and had to tell the world.
I quite often do stupid stuff because I am too impatient to do it right but I got away with it this time.
I needed a 7/8 thick piece of 1144SR 5 1/2" long cut from a piece of 2" round. It is a blank for a two journal crankshaft for a small engine.
Put a 5 1/2" long piece of round on end in the vise on my band saw and sliced a 1/2" off one side and turned it 180 Degrees and did it again. I just assumed at the very least I would be breaking a blade even if I didnt hurt myself.
Worked great and saved me a couple hours of mill work on my little benchtop mill.
IMG_20210821_113400293.jpg

I just pulled a trick with my new Grizzley G0885 band saw and had to tell the world.
I quite often do stupid stuff because I am too impatient to do it right but I got away with it this time.
I needed a 7/8 thick piece of 1144SR 5 1/2" long cut from a piece of 2" round. It is a blank for a two journal crankshaft for a small engine.
Put a 5 1/2" long piece of round on end in the vise on my band saw and sliced a 1/2" off one side and turned it 180 Degrees and did it again. I just assumed at the very least I would be breaking a blade even if I didnt hurt myself.
Worked great and saved me a couple hours of mill work on my little benchtop mill.
View attachment 128600
How did you hold it vertical - pictures please.

I just clamped it in the vise on end and used a square to make sure it was vertical. First cut lacked about a 1/2" of making it thru cause the blade housing hit the top of the piece. Turned it end for end eyeballed it into location and squared it again and finished the cut. Rotated the piece 180 degrees squared it vertically and cut the second side. This time the piece cleared the blade housing and I made the cut in one pass.
Here is a picture of the piece reclamped in the vise as I would have when making the second cut.
DAL the piece came out within .05 of being the same thickness all the way across.
Now to mill to thickness and a couple flats the the rounded sides so I can accurately center drill for turning.
IMG_20210821_210902887.jpg

I just clamped it in the vise on end and used a square to make sure it was vertical. First cut lacked about a 1/2" of making it thru cause the blade housing hit the top of the piece. Turned it end for end eyeballed it into location and squared it again and finished the cut. Rotated the piece 180 degrees squared it vertically and cut the second side. This time the piece cleared the blade housing and I made the cut in one pass.
Here is a picture of the piece reclamped in the vise as I would have when making the second cut.
DAL the piece came out within .05 of being the same thickness all the way across.
Now to mill to thickness and a couple flats the the rounded sides so I can accurately center drill for turning.View attachment 128663
Very nice work.

Latest posts

Back