Greetings from Selangor,Malaysia.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chandrakumar

Reaction score
Greetings to all,

Thanks to all the great postings, it helps a lot for beginners to kick start on hobby machining. I just bought 8x16 lathe, and made a "wobbler steam engine", thanks to all the forum thread, very usefully information.
Now i'm gathering info on IC engine. This is my childhood dream, to make own IC engine, i got inspired by a book in my school library around age of 13. I still remember i try to do my own spark plug coil winding with nail and few feet of copper wire because i thought its was very important element in the engine making.After few years, i realize making a spark plug coil its a complicated process, then i move on to other part of engine, i learn , learn and learn..its addictive. After while, i got addicted really hard on steam engine and old hit and miss engine.I truly admire old engine craftsmanship.Fast forward 28 years.... Only recently, i manage to get lathe and i got time to focus on my hobby. I attached some of my projects, some works and some i still got some skill to learn.
Im looking forward for long journey into machining world.Thank you for all the machinist here in HMEM and the HMEM admin's for making it possible.

IMG_20210424_210317_BURST9.jpgIMG_20210505_120808.jpgIMG_20210505_120823.jpgIMG_20210505_121619_1.jpgIMG_20210505_121627.jpgIMG_20210825_104958.jpgIMG_20210825_105027.jpgIMG_20210710_154322.jpg

Greetings to all,

Thanks to all the great postings, it helps a lot for beginners to kick start on hobby machining. I just bought 8x16 lathe, and made a "wobbler steam engine", thanks to all the forum thread, very usefully information.
Now i'm gathering info on IC engine. This is my childhood dream, to make own IC engine, i got inspired by a book in my school library around age of 13. I still remember i try to do my own spark plug coil winding with nail and few feet of copper wire because i thought its was very important element in the engine making.After few years, i realize making a spark plug coil its a complicated process, then i move on to other part of engine, i learn , learn and learn..its addictive. After while, i got addicted really hard on steam engine and old hit and miss engine.I truly admire old engine craftsmanship.Fast forward 28 years.... Only recently, i manage to get lathe and i got time to focus on my hobby. I attached some of my projects, some works and some i still got some skill to learn.
Im looking forward for long journey into machining world.Thank you for all the machinist here in HMEM and the HMEM admin's for making it possible.

View attachment 131623View attachment 131624View attachment 131625View attachment 131627View attachment 131628View attachment 131633View attachment 131634View attachment 131636
What is that little engine with the spark plug?

Hi Richard,
That engine was based on Boll Aero 18 Diesel Engine. I couldn't get my hand on diesel fuel (ether), so i tweak it for gasoline with spark plug. Compression was very bad, flywheel not balance or might be too heavy, it can start but cannot sustain. This was my first attempt on IC engine after getting my mini lathe.

Hello chandrakumar,
Welcome to this interesting forum, I am familiar with your part of the world and surprised to see a model engineer. During my many visits to my wife's relatives, I don't recall seeing much interest in steam engines and the like, are there any clubs I could visit when next in KL or Penang? I did see some Chinese made lathes for sale but they struck me as quite expensive, I remember seeing a Myford ML7 at the Selangor Pewter works some years back, I guess it was leftover from the British being there..
I look forward to seeing your postings,
Take care and stay healthy

B

Hi Apprentice707,

You are right, not much things going on here on model engine and steam engine, but there is alot of RC related stuff going on. And i couldn't find any clubs in KL, not sure in Penang. Looks like i have to start something in KL. The only group i found is in facebook under "Hobby Machinists Malaysia", not really active group, sad. Im using chinese lathes, i bought from Taobao.com (with help of my chinese colleague), price was reasonable when i get it direct from taobao, i can share the supplier info if you needed. When i check same model here locally in KL, the price is doubled. Yea, Selangor Pewter used to visit them but not sure about the MyFord ML7 most likely left over from British. If you plan to come KL let me know, we can share experience while having nice meal at KL.

Latest posts

Back