Greetings from Scotland

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OllyM

Reaction score
Hiya folks. Thought I'd introduce myself after lurking around your lovely forum for a few weeks. I got into machining as part of my previous business venture, making high power lighting systems for drones and UAVs. Needed aluminium heatsinks. Started out manually machining them, got old really fast when you're doing batches of 50-100 and each one has to be exactly right to fit the mould. So I built a CNC adapter robot thing that mounts on the lathe bed with gang tooling. I'll put some details of that in the CNC section at some point. Anyway, had to wind the business up a couple of years ago, get a real job. Now I've finally managed to get a workshop setup and the tools out of storage and I'm looking to build engines ;-)

My main interest is engines for RC model aircraft (and robots, 3D printers, electronics.....). I've designed a couple of engines in CAD, but just bought some plans to get the hang of things before jumping off the deep end. I've got a Warco WM280V-F lathe, and a WM-18 mill. Currently working to convert the lathe to full CNC, making tooling etc while I wait for the plans to arrive from Germany. I've attached some pics of my setup.

Really like the forum, some amazing projects on here, hope I can add my own soon!

Cheers,

Olly

View media item 1444View media item 1443View media item 1442

Hi Olli

Welcome to the forum. If you’re interested in model engines and hobby machining I think you’ve come to the right place. I can’t think on the number of times I’ve been browsing a thread and seen a setup or tip I would have never thought of.

Thank you! This place is definitely right up my street, some amazing engines and skills on show.

I'm working to increase my capabilities at the moment before I really get stuck into the engine building. Think I've figured out how to adapt my lathe to do CNC milling without having to build a Y-axis for the cross slide. I also worked out the other day how to electronically gear a second spindle to the main spindle, so I'll be building a gear hobbing adapter once the lathe CNC conversion is done. I'm no where near retirement yet though, so have to squeeze all this in around work. At least I can write G-code with my phone while I'm on the train ;-)

Latest posts

Back