Greetings from NW Oregon, USA.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DDF47

Reaction score
I’m a retired (2009) tool designer who spent 40 year designing production tooling for lift trucks. I designed weld fixtures, machining fixtures, a few special purpose machines and a few progressive blanking and form dies. I used Pro/E at work and the student addition at home but have recently moved on to using Solid Edge Community Edition. 3D printer is in my future but not yet.

I’m a retired (2009) tool designer who spent 40 year designing production tooling for lift trucks. I designed weld fixtures, machining fixtures, a few special purpose machines and a few progressive blanking and form dies. I used Pro/E at work and the student addition at home but have recently moved on to using Solid Edge Community Edition. 3D printer is in my future but not yet.
Welcome to the group

Dave

Welcome to the club.
Dive right in here and have some fun.

3D printing has been a lot of fun for me, and is very useful if you intend to make patterns for casting work.

Welcome!
I have a background similar to yours (I really like Pro-E). I've designed tooling (& some engines ;) ) for the die cast industry.

What kind of engines or projects are you interested in?

John

Mostly steam/air engine with a few IC engines for variety.
122FDA2A-B561-42D9-BB5F-282D4B1028AC.jpeg
8B0AB1B9-B866-47AF-ADF7-03FC444CB890.jpeg

Wow! You've been busy! Quite a few nice projects you've done!
I'm curious about the opposed twin & the digging setup, I'd be interested in more when you have the time.

Looks like you have found the right place.

John

I assume the opposed twin is the engine with the propeller. It’s actually an opposed four originally designed by Chuck Fellows. Search on this site for “opposed” and by Cfellows and you should find it including plans. I pretty much followed his plans with minor changes due to my tooling and materials availability.

The back hoe is my design but with single acting cylinders requires spring assist to retract. I’m not real happy with it. Maybe some day I’ll try to remake it with double acting cylinders. Now where’s my round tuit. 😁

This is the twin I was talking about.
There is a name for that link, and I forget what it is called.

Image160.jpg

You could sell those backhoes.
Every kid would buy one.

That twin is the double scotch engine. Also found on the net with alterations. Pistons drive thru a scotch yoke and the valving is actuated by a scotch yoke. At my sons suggestion it is mounted on a piece of marble floor tile. Hence it’s a double scotch on the rock(s).

As for selling any of these things my standard reply is “I’m retired! What don’t you understand about retired?” Seriously, if I made things to sell it would become a job instead of a hobby.

That twin is the double scotch engine. Also found on the net with alterations. Pistons drive thru a scotch yoke and the valving is actuated by a scotch yoke. At my sons suggestion it is mounted on a piece of marble floor tile. Hence it’s a double scotch on the rock(s).

As for selling any of these things my standard reply is “I’m retired! What don’t you understand about retired?” Seriously, if I made things to sell it would become a job instead of a hobby.

(LOL) if you made some things for selling it might be a self sustaining 'hobby' which might just ease things with the chancellor of the exchequer - - - doubt you'd want to be making piles of anything - - - just enough for to make some $$$$.

A wonderful shelf of objects to study.

I'm hoping you'll build something and post a build log thread here.

Thank You for posting.

--ShopShoe

Welcome @DDF47 Nice looking models!

On an unrelated note, how have you been getting along Solid Edge Community Edition, particularly because you came from another capable (Proe/E) 3D modeler. My buddy is oscillating between Solidworks Maker (or whatever they call the somewhat similar new-ish cloud/hobby version) and Fusion 360. They all have their pros & cons depending on user experience & desired capabilities etc. But Solid Edge came up in discussion & your comment caught my eye. I don't want to turn your introduction into a CAD tangent rabbit hole, but if you have any high level feedback I'd appreciate. Or I can start a new post in the CAD section on this particular theme. (I'm a Solidworks user myself but at some point am going to have to make a $ decision so kind of interested myself).

I have started a new thread in the software/programming section. Actually I’ve become somewhat of an advocate for SE. Like any 3D CAD program the learning curve can be steep for those without prior experience but the climb is worth it.

Latest posts

Back