Greetings From Indiana

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Seasons Greetings to all.

I have recently "completed" building a Sunbeam Alpine. The build was mostly mechanical, installing a 2002 Ford Ranger engine and transmission, Ford 8" rear, Frankenstein brakes, etc. Time to move onto another project.

My shop is "full sized". 12" Chinese lathe, small commercial jig borer (Taiwanese), home made 18" band saw, drill press, welder. As a result, I'm not terribly interested in doing really small work. I majored in Vocational Machine Shop in high school, so I have a pretty good understanding of shop tools and techniques.

Currently, I am trying to decide just what the project will be. I love steam, but it is somewhat dangerous and awkward to use. Powering steam models with air has all the pizazz of running a gasoline engine with an electric motor. So it seems that gasoline will be the power source.

What form will the engine take? I do not know and would appreciate help in making that determination. I do know I am not terribly interested in using a kit or even following existing plans. I do want something different and entertaining to watch. I plan on making posts elsewhere, exploring ideas.

Bill

welcome to the forum. this is a model forum so small to tiny is the norm here. I wrote a couple of threads for beginners in the about HMEM sub fora:

http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/f27/geting-started-model-engine-building-8701/

http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/f27/selecting-first-engine-build-15183/

do not be dismayed as most engines can be scaled either 1/2 the size or 2x of a given print . just understand the laws of scaling. if you take a simple engine like the macabre runner and double the size material cost and air consumption will be about 8 times that of the original as volume is proportional to the cube.

This a friendly group so if you want to build model engines folks here will help you .
Tin

Back