Grambo's 2x Whittle V8

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grambo

Reaction score
Well, I figured I'd start a build-it thread. I spent the last month rebuilding the Millrite I acquired. I cut my first metal on it and it is VERY NICE. My little Atlas horizontal (with a homemade vertical attachment) looks soooo small. I'm going to re-motor the millrite. for one thing, I don't have 3ph. I'm going to put a DC treadmill motor on it. I love those things. People give them away for free. I usually can get the motor controller to work too. Anyhow, after I relayed out my workshop, MASSIVE 1 car garage!!!!!!!!, I started the crankshaft rough cut.
Also looking at getting one of those quick wedge tool posts. I'm sure a Shars AXA will be fine.

Cheers
-Grambo

millrite.jpg

millrite-top.jpg

millrite-knee.jpg

millrite-new.jpg

Lathe.jpg

whittle 2x valve.jpg

Crank.jpg

Made some progress. Have 8 cylinders cut. The 2 dark ones have been heat treated but not cleaned. I have the top crankcase roughed out. I made one piston to see how it fits. Look'in GOOD!! I made one practice ring out of a cast brake cylinder. I now need to try the ring heat process to put spring in. I'll wait to make the final rings once all the pistons are done. COOL!!
Oh. I got the quick change tool post and it definitely helped cranking out the cylinders.
Cheers
-Grambo

8-cylinders.jpg

8-cylinder2.jpg

piston ring.jpg

piston1.jpg

Hi All,
I figured I should post my progress on my 2x Whittle V8! Things are progressing slowly but well. As Eric says in the article, patience. I probably have about 10-15 hours a week to work on it. Multiply that by a year. Loving every minute! My shop has come along way. I have DRO on my Millrite. Aquired a rotory table and a Dumore post grinder. :thumbup:The pictures are not in order. At the time of this post, I have most of the large parts complete. Assembly as only been check fits as I finish pieces. I have the camshaft cut and am working on the valves and all the valve components. Those pictures will follow. I need to build a little engine stand for the assembly work.
Merry Christmas
Graham

IMG_0024.JPG

IMG_0762.JPG

IMG_0763.JPG

IMG_0764.JPG

IMG_0765.JPG

IMG_0766.JPG

IMG_0767.JPG

IMG_0771.JPG

IMG_0776.JPG

IMG_0777.JPG

Hi All,
Here's some progress on my 2x Whittle V8.:cool:
I have all the major components done and am working on the stuff that I have to dream up. The electronic ignition system! I had to make a second cam shaft. the first one was mirror image. I cut it from back to front. It was kinda confusing in Eric's article.:wall:.
Oh well, I cut the second one in half the time and it is better. I am going to put a walbro carb on it with rexel 1/4-32 spark plugs. I also think the open exhaust header are going to look cool. I need to make an air intake.
as you can see, I did make an engine stand complete with swivel wheels...........COOL!
I also made some spark plug boots from silicone and corn starch. you guys should try it, it's easy.
Here's a pic of my shop. I don't know how some of you guys keep your shops so clean.....th_wav. I am stuffed in a one stall garage. Ho, and my RC airplane trailer
Cheers
Graham:thumbup:

IMG_0081.JPG

IMG_0082.JPG

IMG_0029.JPG

IMG_0099.JPG

IMG_0102.JPG

IMG_0103.JPG

IMG_0206.JPG

IMG_0207.JPG

IMG_0177.JPG

IMG_0091.JPG

IMG_0105.JPG

IMG_0104.JPG

IMG_0098.jpg

Last edited:
Looks great so far. I guarantee my work space is far messier than yours! I'd be interested in hearing more about your spark plug boot construction process - I'm almost at the point where I need multiples of them and wondered where I was going to get them, so making them is definitely on the cards.

Very impressive work. I too would like to know about your "corn starch and silicone" casting method for sparkplug boots.---Brian

Cogsy--I just did a google search on this casting process, and there is a lot about it on the internet. this youtube link covers a lot of it.--Brian
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50AkrE1s9Iw[/ame]

Yeah, I use nitrile gloves to keep my hands clean. Sprinkle down a table spoon of corn starch and squirt a blob of 100% silicone. mix it a little then add a dab of acrilic paint (50 cent bottle from art store.). Knead it all up until it's good and mixed. Add more corn starch if it gets sticky. That's it. Push it into your mold and wait an hour (or less).
Now the mold is 2 slabs of aluminum clamped together with holes drilled into it. There's 2 little blocks that screw fit in and hold a 1/8" brass rod in place for the inside diameters...................and .........Voila............it's DONE
-Graham

Yeah, I use nitrile gloves to keep my hands clean. Sprinkle down a table spoon of corn starch and squirt a blob of 100% silicone. mix it a little then add a dab of acrilic paint (50 cent bottle from art store.). Knead it all up until it's good and mixed. Add more corn starch if it gets sticky. That's it. Push it into your mold and wait an hour (or less).
Now the mold is 2 slabs of aluminum clamped together with holes drilled into it. There's 2 little blocks that screw fit in and hold a 1/8" brass rod in place for the inside diameters...................and .........Voila............it's DONE
-Graham

Thanks for sharing that technique Graham, what a great idea and so simple.

I know I'll be trying it in future when i need some covers for the next project which will hopefully be a v12!

All the best and keep up the great work!

From Pat

Hello Grambo
I have a Whittle 10.6 cc V8 that has never run,
Do you know what fuel I should buy in the UK?
Graham

Mine uses regular spark plugs, therefore standard petrol(gas).
The "per print" Whittle uses glow plugs, so you need radio control model engine fuel.
It's a methanol/ nitro-methane, lubricant mix.

Thank you Grambo
As I understand it there are various mixtures you can buy, I was after a specific grade/type to buy for my Whittle with glow plugs.
Graham

Hello All,
I finished my engine (last summer) !
This youtube link shows my first pops...............What a fabulous moment!!!!
I am still trying to find the right carburetor that doesn't need a vaccuum pulse.
Maybe I need a fuel pump. I will be tweeking it this summer
Cheers
Graham

Attachments

• 1615069861649.png
    1615069861649.png
    715.6 KB · Views: 162
  • 1615070328761.png
    1615070328761.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 157

Latest posts

Back