Grades of brass

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1hand

Reaction score
Hello,

I stopped by my local scrap yard to see if they had any scrap brass, and they do. A barrel of what they call yellow brass, and a barrel of what they call red brass.

I'm figuring the yellow is mostly 360, mostly pipe and fittings,but what about this redish colored brass. Is it any good for machining? there is 4 or so 6" disks on top thats begging to become a flywheel. They said I can come back tomorow and dig through them barrels if I want.

Matt

1hand said:
Hello,

I stopped by my local scrap yard to see if they had any scrap brass, and they do. A barrel of what they call yellow brass, and a barrel of what they call red brass.

I'm figuring the yellow is mostly 360, mostly pipe and fittings,but what about this redish colored brass. Is it any good for machining? there is 4 or so 6" disks on top thats begging to become a flywheel. They said I can come back tomorow and dig through them barrels if I want.

Matt

Matt some of the 'redish' stuff could be cast bronze valve's which is nice machining. Watch out for stuff that has silverish waves on it, that might be bearing bronze,and that's real tough to machine. Some scrapies refer to it as hard brass or red brass.

-MB

I think I'll throw a small file in my pocket 2moro when I go back. I see how hard it is to scratch the surface.

Matt

Matt...
Wait until you stumble onto nickel bronze. Nasty stuff to machine. It's a nice off silver color and is tough as nails, not to mention stringy.... Got a good stock here and still don't quite know what to do with it.

Steve

Thanks guys!

I took a chance on my first scrappy bought unknown!

003-33.jpg

Back