Got one to run !

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lugnut

Reaction score
I reached a milestone today! I've been slowly building a version of Chuck's Single. Had to stop and learn how to build a gear hob. Then learn how to cut gears. Best of all I got to use my new DRO on the X3 mill. I waited until I got the DRO before I started the build and it paid of big time!
I had been saving a section of brass threaded valve stem for some time and it worked out well for the cylinder, I left the treads on for a little different effect.
I got the critter running today so now I will take it apart and polish it up a little and make a display stand for it.
Here are a few photos of the build. Your comments (good and bad) are welcome.
Mel
P1010008008-1.jpg

P1010005005-1.jpg

P1010007007.jpg

P1010010010.jpg

P1010009009-1.jpg

P1010005005.jpg

Congratulations Mel. :bow: Thm: :bow:
You are hooked now.
Everyone of these builds has been different. Thats part of what makes it fun.
Gail in NM,USA

Ooohh, I like that - the threading on the cylinder looks great

Congrats on a nice build

Excellent feeling isn't it? The machining is fun but when you get one to tick over makes it that much better. At first when I read your posting and you said valve stem I had visions of the core that goes into a tire valve and I thought that can't be right. Then I realized that you meant large gate valve type stem. It adds a nice touch to the engine.
gbritnell

Nice job! Looks like a good project for me to learn some things I haven't tried yet (like gear cutting and that crankshaft).

Nice job!

especially cutting your own gears with your own hob!!

Great job, Mel. :bow: :bow: :bow:

Looking forward to the video.

Being able to cut your own gears will open up a lot of avenues for you.

Congratulations, Mel, very nice work. You're well ahead of me with using making your own gear cutter!

Chuck

Great looking engine Mel, :bow: the uniqueness of that cylinder is definitely eye catching. What do you feel was the most difficult part of the build and if you were have to do it again, what would you do differently to achieve the same results?

BC1
Jim

Great job Mel, I like the look of your engine Thm:

Jim ask what was the most difficult part to do. I think the crankshaft was the most difficult, I had to do two to get one that was correct. Next was getting that darn little plastic hose onto the inlet valve.
Mel

Excellent work! Thm:

Your flywheels look like they're cast but the spokes look like they're soldered.... what gives?

Thanks for the good reviews guys!
Paul the flywheels are cast. I think what your seeing is where I done a little filing on the spokes trying to clean them up a little. I plan to paint them and then turn the outside rim and hubs to remove the paint in those areas. I suppose the light reflection from the flash is what your looking at.
Mel

Congrats Mel :bow: LOVE the threaded cylinder - sweet touch :)

Mike

Congratulations from me too Mel. :bow: Thm: :bow:

Best Regards
Bob

I'm trying to post a video from my cell phone
Mel

Sorry for the poor quality but for now it's all I got.

Hey Mel, sound great. Sounds like it may have some power also.

Ain't this fun :big: :big: :big:

Mel,

Congratulations!! The valve stem really makes a nice visual enhancement. Thm: Thm:

That is an outstanding piece of work. :bow: I like touch on the cylinder gives it a unique look. I hope mine turns out half as nice.
The only bad thing is it hooks you and you have to build another and another and........... ::)

Back