Got my Shay finished

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weldsol

Reaction score
Sorry not been on here for a long long time around 11 / 12 yrs.
So I thought I would show you a picture of my Shay that I started around 2008 and finished late 2019 ( just in time for lockdowns to start before I could start going to the clubs)
20190605_143121.jpg

Hi Chuck thanks glad you like it.
Jan 2020 I decided to build a Sealion 30cc 4 cylinder overhead cam engine (all from solid as I did with the Shay) and thanks to all the lock downs and self isolating in my workshop I have got quite a bit done .
I will put up some photo's in a couple of days.

Paul

Stunning work. Did you document the Shay build elsewhere like on another forum? I'm not a locomotive guy but always interested to see nice craftsmanship.

Re the Sealion, yes please put up some pics. Looking forward to that too.

Stunning work. Did you document the Shay build elsewhere like on another forum? I'm not a locomotive guy but always interested to see nice craftsmanship.

Re the Sealion, yes please put up some pics. Looking forward to that too.
Hi there was some parts shown on this site around 2010 if you go to members and pull up weldsol you can see the previous posts.

Paul

Looks really nice.

I want one too, ... I would like to have one in 45mm gauge. (not going to buy one)

How big is this one? Did you use plans?
I assume it is quite complicated, so it would be better to start something more easy at first I guess.

Question to everyone: Are there any plans available to make one in 45mm gauge?

Greetings Timo

Hi Timo

I used the first book by Kozo Hiroka he describes his 3 1/2" gauge loco but also put scaling factor for other gauges
Mine I did for 7 1/4" gauge I also changed the engine design to suit the later ones which made it easier to make in the larger scale. No castings so all was from solid or fabricated.
Re your 45mm gauge you could possibly down scale the 3 1/2" but that would be quite a task as some parts may not scale such as boiler etc.

Paul

Hi Timo

I used the first book by Kozo Hiroka he describes his 3 1/2" gauge loco but also put scaling factor for other gauges
Mine I did for 7 1/4" gauge I also changed the engine design to suit the later ones which made it easier to make in the larger scale. No castings so all was from solid or fabricated.
Re your 45mm gauge you could possibly down scale the 3 1/2" but that would be quite a task as some parts may not scale such as boiler etc.

Paul
Hi Paul,

Thank you for the reply.
So I think then I will get hold of this book somehow.

Then I will go through my project list with preparation (training) projects.
The simplest possible boiler is next on the bucket list.

Greetings Timo

p.s. do we hear it chuffing on some youtube upload?

Great job. Hope you enjoy it. FYI, I started a 3/4" Kozo Shay in 1974 but for many of the usual reasons I am just finishing it. All the marching is done and I am working on the final silver soldering of the boiler. Hope mine comes out as well as yours. Len on Long Island, NY

That is awesome! Excellent work! The Shay is my favorite loco!

Thanks for posting this. I have always liked the complexity and concept of these rather specialized steam locos. You really must have great patience - a 10 year project is way beyond my attention span. Not to mention skill set.
Thanks again.
John B.

Thanks for posting this. I have always liked the complexity and concept of these rather specialized steam locos. You really must have great patience - a 10 year project is way beyond my attention span. Not to mention skill set.
Thanks again.
John B.
Hi John
In my case it is not patience it used to be work load and that I tend to only work on my projects when I feel like it.
So a 10yr project would probably breakdown to 2ys actual (full time)
My 3" Burrell traction engine only took me 27yrs.

Paul

Very nice looking Shay, Paul. I bought Kozo's book years ago but have yet to start anything on it (too busy raising a family). But, I have to say that your engine is inspiring. The Shay has always been one of my favorites... a true work horse in history. Another, because I spent most of my childhood summers in the Lake Tahoe area, are the Virginia & Truckee engines that were popularized by TV shows such as "The Wild Wild West" (not sure if they had that in the UK). The Shay and the Tahoe are two engines that are on my bucket list. Kudos to you for finishing such a stunning engine!

Fair enough Paul.
That pesky thing called "Work" does get in the way at times.
Fortunately, when I became "surplus to requirements" Christmas 2000 I was almost retirement age here in OZ. Some financial advice helped me get to be fully retired and that is when I got to play in my playpen between stuff that needed doing around the house.
In my teenage years at the local Tech school I liked metalwork and finally got the time and $ to get started. So, a new comer really but lucky enough to have a model engineering club locally so help is nearby.

Hi Paul,

Thank you for the reply.
So I think then I will get hold of this book somehow.

Then I will go through my project list with preparation (training) projects.
The simplest possible boiler is next on the bucket list.

Greetings Timo

p.s. do we hear it chuffing on some youtube upload?
Hi Timo this is the smallest vid I have got.
It is one of it's first track test to see if everything was working and to put some load behind it
Paul

Hi Timo this is the smallest vid I have got.
It is one of it's first track test to see if everything was working and to put some load behind it
Paul
That thing sounds like a combustion engine. It is quite fast.
I would like to see the original one time, they were using the Diesel machine when I tried. I still got car sick on the train.... :)

https://afrch.forest.gov.tw/En
Now it is closed because of some virus going on.... hope that it goes away some time.

Greetings Timo

Latest posts

Back