Got my first lathe

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kingchristo

Reaction score
Well ive decided to get a metal lathe my first project that I'm going to try is a hammer. Then I would love to make a simply engine. I don't have a milling machine or able to cast so not sure where to get started with that one. I was thinking of getting a milling attachment for my lathe.

Might I suggest Harprit Sandhu's 'Spindles' in the ME Workshop series.

I have a couple of Pott's spindles one for grinding and the other for milling. Both are 'challenging' rather like Chaddock's one for the Quorn.

Should keep you occupied and interested

Regards

Norm

You have come to the right place. Welcome to the community bro ...........

I've been watching a few videos on YouTube and seen a machinist hammer I'm going to try but when he polishes the aluminum he has what looks like a stick and two different colour what looks like blocks of soap. They must be a polishing compound but I carnt find them. Does anyone know the name of them

Found the bars they are called soap but not sure about the stick

Hi Kingchristo, the video you mentioned must be the one from Timnummy. He has another video talking about using a stick or pieces of wood for polishing aluminum. I have tried it myself, seems to work relatively well.

I got the cheap polishing compound set from Amazon https://tinyurl.com/yb7pk4nl and have used mostly the Red Rouge and White bars mostly. I do a final finish with Meguiar's Polish.

Back