Good score

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wareagle

Reaction score
Well, I love crossing the path of a fool. Especially when it works in my favor. Seldom is that the case, but I really enjoy it when it does!

A guy asked me to help him throw away a "blown up" generator. So, I did. It was a 5500W generator powered by a Briggs and Stratton engine. Being the environmentalist that I am, I put it in the back of my truck to do my part in saving the planet ;). I figured if nothing else, it would be material for some good parts for models and such.

Well, when I got it home, I pulled the engine through a couple of revolutions, and it had compression. Cool. So, why did this guy say it was blown up? A little head scratching followed. So, a thorough inspection revealed the "blown up" engine. It was the coil rubbing against the flywheel because of a screw missing. Screw added, engine put back together, and some fuel dumped in. Checked the oil. Everything looks good. This really can't be all that's wrong.

Tried to start it. Nothing. Okay, so the plug was pulled, and was found to have zero gap. Hmmm... Gapped the plug, put it back in, and....nothing. So, a quick spray of "startem up" in the carb, one tug on the cord, and we have a living engine. Very cool!

Okay, load check time. Two 1000W quartz lamps plugged in, and now we are purring like a kitten. Okay, now I am in disbelief. There is a generator in my shop that is "blown up" powering two 1000W lights, and I have about 30 minute of my time invested in it, and about $.05 worth of materials. Outstanding!

So, who was the fool that threw away a perfectly good "blown up" generator?

My boss! ;D

Score!

Gotta love it!

Great bit of recycling, now if only a Bentley that they test drive past my house all the time would do that, but maybe not.

wareagle, that's not a good score, it's a shutout. Employee 1 - Boss nothing.

Ed

Very Nice!

(Did you tell the boss?) LOL

Rick

rake60 said:
(Did you tell the boss?) LOL

Rick

Well, let's just say that I told him that I am getting some good use out of the parts! ;D What I left out was the fact that I am getting use out of all of the parts! 8) LOL...

Back