Good Forum to belong to

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmshep

Reaction score
I have only been a member of this forum for a short time but I would like to say that it has restored my confidence in contributing and asking questions in a forum. I am impressed by the friendly and knowledgeable responses and no one is "put down" if the question or response seems obvious. The language and humour is controlled and most acceptable in a friendly forum such as this.

All this is stark contrast to a forum I belonged to for one of my other interests. If you asked a question some members insisted on telling you what they knew about the subject at great length rather than answer the question. A mere mention of eBay was a no no etc.

The crunch came when I sent a post telling members where they could get some hard to find components but the contact at the small company selling them was not the easiest to deal with. My post was not controversial but was heavily modified to the point of censorship. When I protested the moderator referred me to "rule 23 para 3 section 6 etc" that told me his decision was final. It certainly was!

It is a pleasure to belong to this forum and and long may it continue.

John Shepherd

Jmshep,

Well said and welcome :)

Regards
Bob

John Thank you for the post!

Our goal is make HMEM a different type of forum.
So far those efforts seem to have been successful.

Seeing it in print is an important reinforcement.

Thanks
Rick

John, they accept me so you know they've got an odd sense of humor. :big:

But that follows with being "jes' folks" who enjoy the same hobbies and treat the various subjects that come up as figuratively sitting down and talking about them over coffee (with a touch of Jameson's, of course) or whatever the beverage of choice is. It's friendly, informal, educational and, most of all, fun.

I know the kind of place you described and left them since to be there implied being born with no less than 30 years' exerience on every machine known to man and a few that haven't even been invented yet. I think walking on water was another requirement but I didn't stick around long enough to ask.

Everyone here has taken that "first step" and knows what it's all about. Some here are professionals, some are retired professionals, some are amateurs who like to make swarf, and a few just came in from the weather & decided to stick around 'cuz their kind of nuts reside here. And then you have me, an escapee from the Home for the Terminally Weird who has discovered this is an ideal hiding place. ;D

So grab a cuppa, pull up a sitting-on thingie and join in.

BEst regards,

Kludge

thank for the complement. I do my best to keep a close eye and a gentle hand on the controls but will also jump in if needed.
And I hope and pray we can keep the flavor and intent of the board as it grows over time.
Tin

John,

Welcome to HMEM!! Thank you for your comments! As rick said, it really makes our efforts worth it when we see it written in a post.

The HMEM team understands the pitfalls of sites such as what you mentioned, and none of us care for them too much. A friendly open forum to all levels of machinists free of the cliques, flaming and meaningless content is what the ultimate goal is here. Tin mentions having a light hand on the controls but the willingness to do so if needed, and that is true. However, the HMEM team exercises due diligance in it's actions because we also understand that too much of a good thing can be detrimental. It sometimes is a difficult balance, but so far we have been successful. And we hope that continues!

Make yourself at home! Feel free to contribute and I look forward to your future posts!

Regards,
W/E

I like to visit this site as well. The members are courteous and helpful without grandstanding or being overly competitive. There's much to learn from all corners of the earth. I can post occasionally, and there's always someone there to say 'atta-boy" or to lend kind and helpful advice, no judgements or questions asked. Thank you to all the members and moderators. :bow:

DB

Latest posts

Back