Gone as far as I can

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
John
I would like to add my best wishes and hope you will be looked after,as you have looked after a lot of people on here.
Thank you
Don

John, like many posters before me, you've 'shown me the way'. Yourself and the excellent Mr Hall (and Bob Loader before him) have demystified and simplified metal strangling enough to give us weekend warriors the confidence to 'give it a try'. For that I thank you.

I'm sorry that when I was within striking distance of Stoke and you kindly issued an invite to meet Bandit, I was unable to comply; duty called loud that weekend. Suffice to say, the character of the man came through in the humour of your phrases and the simplicity of your explanations, so I felt I had met you - in a limited way.

As the spouse of a cancer survivor and the son of someone with C.O.P.D., you have my utmost understanding and empathy.

Sam.

Hello John,
I have never posted here before but I have followed your posts on the several boards you have written on. I would be a thankless so an so not to say thank you for your time for putting your posts together for all of us. I have developed in my hobby thanks to you and others like you that give so freely of your knowledge and time. I think I can say for most of us that I hope you had as much enjoyment writing as we have had reading. I hope that you contribute contribute as much as you feel you are able. Thank you again.
Karel Brouwers

Hi Blogwitch
I really do not know what to say when reading this news
Just looking forward to seeing you in the forum for a very long time !!

Thank you so much for your well wishes.

In fact on Wednesday I was told I maybe have a lifeline.

After many scans and biopsies, they have isolated the problem to one spot, but it is the rest of me that is causing the main problem.

I have been suffering with major pain for over 40 years, and they have told me I could have a full cure within 8 weeks if they remove a lobe of my left lung or even total removal if the tumour is on a bronchial tube joint. BUT, if all my previous problems don't put me in the right frame of mind to have this major surgery, then they will resort to non invasive radiography and chemotherapy, which means it won't be a permanent cure, but remission. I won't have a choice in which treatment I receive, that is up to the medicos after they carry out more scans and biopsies.
This week alone I have had three different hospital apps, and I expect the same for the next couple of weeks.
Luckily, here in the UK, we have to pay for nothing, except of course the terrible car parking charges.

So maybe a bit of light at the end of a very long tunnel.

John

Over the last couple of years I have had 4 operations on my shoulder which although will never be 100% is a lot better than it was. I was never concerned regarding surgery and never will be if I need surgery in the future because if it needs cutting off or out you won't feel it and if it goes wrong you won't even know about it. Good Luck mate. You deserve it.

Paul

Hi john,
Sorry to hear this news on your health. Best wishes for your treatment and recovery.
You are and have been a great source of inspiration and knowledge.
Take care,
Todd

Well, it might be that I can torment you a little longer.

They put me through the mincer last Wednesday and took the lower lobe off my left lung, two lobes of the left, three on the right, you learn something new here on HMEM every day.

Anyway, I am now sitting here at home in excruciating pain that I have been told will last a couple of months, no complaints though, it is better than the alternative, then my real recovery will begin, so it is to how well my previous body can now cope with a fairly big bit missing, at least I should have lost a couple of pounds to go towards my collective diet weight :rolleyes:

Hope to be about a little more in the future.

John.

Glad you're still with us John. I had a couple of little (less vital) pieces removed a few months ago and I know it's no fun. Same as you, I was happy to make it through and with the sneaky weight loss as well.

Great news, The best all day ,, and yesterday too..The hurt will go away slowly but it will go away. What is to fear is the sudden end of the hurt, that you might not wake up from. I sure wish I could visit, my bedside manner would have you in stitches.. Ha Ha Ha Ow Ow.. My long suffering wife was so mad at me for making her laugh after her operation.. Get well soon John.
Karel

John, you cannot stop teaching machining skills now and problem solving, words of wisdom and wit, you have been a well spring of wisdom for us all, we will not accept surrender, I have leaned a lot from you here and other places, you post always grabs my attention know that the author is will teacher to those who do not know and the only thing that was not learned is what was not asked, we all have a days of doubt and darkness, I do know that we will not live here for ever and probably would not want to but some day we can machine parts in Heaven and the chips will disappear only leaving what we so desired a finished work of perfection and time will be no more, we can enjoy each other and the desires of our hearts, just take on day at the time when you get discourage you must encourage yourself, just think on what you have accomplished and what you have done for those whom you have helped, that did not say thank you but to themselves that fellow is good and he shared his wisdom with us, so John hold on Buddy just one day at the time, a night rest bring fresh ideas and a new beginning each day, I am down with lung infection again this is the seventh time getting at retirement age hoping to be able to enjoy a few years, heck just bought 4 more lathe, been house bound going on the second week, thankful I have a small shop that is Air Conditioned so I can go in there and machine until I get tiered which don't take long but will over come this on also, prayer is that God heals you, that would be a great report, hang in John, praying for you, Lathe Nut (Joe)

Please to hear you are through it John :thumbup:

Isn't modern surgery a wonderful thing. I had a 2Kg lump removed from my Abdomen at the beginning of July - thankfully not cancerous but it was suspected to be :eek:. The 8" scar however will be with me for the rest of my days :(

One of the things about still working is that you are forced to have time off work to recover... three months so far :p Workshop therapy is a wonderful thing.

Jo

Thank you everyone who has replied.

The great surgeon has worked wonders, even doing the outside scar by stitching up on the inside, so very little to see, just a light line running around the outside of my shoulder blade, all the work was done within two hours and has removed the cancer completely, the outside heals much more quickly, only one or two weeks, so the one outside stitch can be removed by the local nurse, the inside takes a lot longer, and that is the area I have to be careful with, with regards to infection plus having to wear anti thrombosis socks for a month.
He reckons 6 to 8 months before I will be fully fit enough to get back into my shop and lifting heavy things, but I couldn't do that before, so give me a couple or three months and I will be up and running again hopefully..

Jo,
Workshop therapy has kept me going for more years than I care to remember, 15 years ago and then 5 years ago two crisis almost caused a total shutdown of me engineering, but it spurred me on to better things, and I hope it with do the same now.
So all I am going to care about now is my partner and myself going on numerous holidays and getting work done in my shop. No pockets in shrouds, so I am going to enjoy it all while I can.

So many thanks to all you well wishers again

So to all those who think there will be no return, as I thought in my case, good medication and techniques at the last minute saved my life, THINK POSITIVE, it might not be as permanent as you think.

John

Hey John, you're the right way up! Didn't know when to start looking (I was going to say digging, but perhaps that's not the right word :) ) for you, so glad to find you on here. Looking forward to seeing that VFD on the go in a couple of months...

all the best

Mark

Hi Mark,

I was just about to send a few emails out to let a few friend know that is white light I see when I open my eyes. Yours will be done in about 10 mins.

I already have my friend geared up for moving out the lathe, just like we did on your visit, so as soon as I am physically fit, that will be the first job to be done.

Great pics of your journey, can't wait to see some more.

John

Many people think it can't happen to them.

I have now had life changing things happen to me four times in my life, this last one was found by accident while they were searching for something else, if they hadn't found it when they did, I doubt very much if I would be writing this now.

So don't ignore those little twinges that you think are just muscular, if they carry on for more than a couple of weeks, get someone to explore it's origin for you. I thought I was having another small pulmonary embolism, and just by luck, they noticed the cancer on the corner of the CAT scan screen, then everything happened like wildfire. BTW, the embolism came to nothing, just muscular, but by having it checked out, it saved my life.

Don't take chances with your health, if it means not being able to afford say a new lathe, just think that maybe you won't be able to use one in the future.

We are lucky here in the UK, everything is for free (except for car parking) and if you have a good doctor who will push for you to get the right scans done (5 different ones altogether plus 2 X-Rays), then you stand a real good chance good outcomes like this happening.

So don't ignore those growing old pains, get them checked out before things go too far.

Lucky John

Latest posts

Back