Gone as far as I can

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Despite all my efforts to keep going with multiple disabilities, it looks like I have been dealt my final hand.

After numerous scans and cameras down my throat taking biopsies, I was told that I have fairly advanced bronchial cancer.

I am not after sympathy, as I have had as good a life as I could have had with things holding me back for the last 40+ years, with no regrets, but it looks like my machining days are well and truly over, but I will still try to help people out if I can with the posts on here (boo, hiss) as long as my faculties remain.
A shame really as over the last few years I have bought many thousands of pounds worth of new machinery and tooling, just hoping to get my shop up and running again. It now looks like it will all have to go.

Time maybe to get another good holiday under my belt before things get too restricting.

John

John
I don't think that a 'Like this post' thing is appropriate- but there is every reason to to sympathise but also thank you for the help not only to me but many others.

I'm one of the ancient COPD types and know a little of the problems.

Meantime, my best wishes as always

Norm

I'll add myself to the list of those who want to wish you the best and agree that this is something that just kicks one in the.........

You are one of the posters who has kept me going in this hobby and made me see that, in machining, there is usually another way to solve a problem that seems unsolvable.

I thank you for the advice you have provided time and again, and in the patience you have shown to keep updating your advice when one of us has a setback (or more than one in a row).

I hope you can continue your presence here as long as possible. Your name means something worth reading every time I see it.

You, Sir, are a mentor.

--ShopShoe

P.S.: I've had the "wet noodle" camera myself and that in itself is a miserable experience I can relate to.

John, I've learned much from you although we've never met. Not just the machining end of things, but your patience is something to emulate. Best wishes and I'll have you in my prayers. Chris

John:

Like Steve said - Well that just sucks!

I've been hanging around this forum for a number of years and I've learned a great deal by reading your posts.

Thank you sir,
Don

Hi John,

I can only echo the words of the other posters here.
Go grab that holiday. Make it the best you’ve ever had.

Sad news indeed John, I wish you all the best for whatever is to come. Like many others, I greatly value your experience and advice, and have learnt a great deal from your postings over the years. You are, and will continue to be, a credit to our hobby.

hi , jeff here . i have watched this forum for a couple of years now , have not contributed as have just been building stock and such until i retire . but one of my favorite contributes has always been john . you always put it clear and concise . i just want to say , thanks for a lot of help and may the doctors be wrong and you are here for the long term to help us all out . thanks . jeff

This does truly suck, we just lost a guy out of the shop at work. The talent pools seems to get smaller everyday. We or I at least, do enjoy your posts and perspectives so keep the comments coming.

As for getting rid of your tools I'd like to suggest keeping them for as long as possible. Even a few minutes a day or even in a weeks time, in the shop, can soften the stresses that coping causes.

John, so sorry to hear your news. I know you are a fighter, don't give in. Keep that British stiff upper lip and keep your pecker up! I wish our paths had crossed when I was in the UK with the USAF.
I am one of those you have guided and influenced from afar. I thank you for your contributions to the hobby, and sharing your extensive knowledge with us.

I too would like to wish you all the best.

John I would also like to wish you all the best and say thanks for your contributions from which I always learned something.

Vince

'You make a living by what you get and you make a life by what you give.' Churchill's words, I think.

Thanks for giving back to those of us who share the hobby.

Latest posts

Back