Glow Ignition Racing Engines

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lohring

Reaction score
Some of you may be interested in a series I wrote about the development and construction of high power model engines. It's an attempt to preserve the heritage of a dying breed. I still have memories from the late 1950s of screaming control line speed engines fueled with shoe polish smelling nitrobenzene in exotic mixtures with names like Missile Mist. I hope there is enough information in these articles for an ambitious person to design and build these engines. Unfortunately, I doubt that they live in English speaking countries. Links are below:

namba.com/content/library/propwash/2018/october/14/ History

namba.com/content/library/propwash/2019/april/24/ Modern Piston & Liner Construction

namba.com/content/library/propwash/2019/october/4 Cylinder Head Design

namba.com/content/library/propwash/2020/april/4/ Tuned Pipe Design

namba.com/content/library/propwash/2020/October/4/ Port Design & Scavenging

namba.com/content/library/propwash/2021/march/16/ Mechanical Design

Lohring Miller

Some of you may be interested in a series I wrote about the development and construction of high power model engines. It's an attempt to preserve the heritage of a dying breed. I still have memories from the late 1950s of screaming control line speed engines fueled with shoe polish smelling nitrobenzene in exotic mixtures with names like Missile Mist. I hope there is enough information in these articles for an ambitious person to design and build these engines. Unfortunately, I doubt that they live in English speaking countries. Links are below:

namba.com/content/library/propwash/2018/october/14/ History

namba.com/content/library/propwash/2019/april/24/ Modern Piston & Liner Construction

namba.com/content/library/propwash/2019/october/4 Cylinder Head Design

namba.com/content/library/propwash/2020/april/4/ Tuned Pipe Design

namba.com/content/library/propwash/2020/October/4/ Port Design & Scavenging

namba.com/content/library/propwash/2021/march/16/ Mechanical Design

Lohring Miller

Hi Lohring, Non of these links work for me !

Control line speed is alive and well in the US. These days it's more taking production engines and modifying them -- but the mods get pretty heavy.

The last capitalized words are descriptions, not part of the links.

Lohring Miller

Links are not working

I fell for that issue, everything after the last "/" is not part of the link. I've put a corrected list below.

History
namba.com/content/library/propwash/2018/october/14/

Modern Piston & Liner Construction

namba.com/content/library/propwash/2019/april/24/

Cylinder Head Design

namba.com/content/library/propwash/2019/october/4

Tuned Pipe Design

namba.com/content/library/propwash/2020/april/4/

Port Design & Scavenging

namba.com/content/library/propwash/2020/October/4/

Mechanical Design

namba.com/content/library/propwash/2021/march/16/

Everything in bold is just a description.

There's a small java app for tuned pipe design I have somewhere from way back when we used to operate on stock engines for pylon racing. See if I can find it.

Lohring,
Many thanks for that series of articles, I'm just getting interested in tether cars and some great info there.

Latest posts

Back