Glow engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minh-thanh

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
I'm starting the glow engine
I have a question, With a beginner: Should do engine with contra piston or with Glow plug hot ??
Thanks !

Glow plug engines are a lot easier to operate. Their fuel is also easier to get and/or mix. I would start with a proven, simple design.

Lohring Miller

For a beginner, you have a much better chance of success with a glow-plug. Diesels require a very good piston to cylinder fit that can only be achieved by lapping. The process is exacting and time consuming, requiring tools that most beginners don't have in their shops. See this page to get an idea of what's required: http://adriansmodelaeroengines.com/catalog/main.php?cat_id=178

WOB

Thanks Lohring Miller , WOB !
And WOB , thank you for sharing, i learned something in this link.

Do you have a design in mind? Two strokes can be very simple and still perform well.

Lohring Miller

That's an excellent beginners design that should have reasonable power. The iron piston in a steel sleeve works very well when built as described. If you want to run it in a radio controlled vehicle, there are standard carburetors that can be substituted for the intake with minor modifications. By the way, glow plugs use a 1/4-32 tap. That should be easy to get on line. If not, I have extras

Lohring Miller

Lohring Miller !
"" there are standard carburetors that can be substituted for the intake with minor modifications."" : I'm learning about how it works.
"" If not, I have extras "" If you talk about those plans of engine, that's great !! :p:p:p

Hi I am considering building this engine, is it possible to move the hole for the Venturi towards the front about 4 mm to make room for a throttle carburettor? I am asking because I was thinking it might weaken the crankshaft so the transfer hole would be that much longer. Many thanks for the design,I will post here when finished but that might be a few months

I would angle the carb forward and try to keep the crankcase hole in the same position.

Lohring Miller

Don't go to small on your first one. A slightly larger engine is a bit more tolerant on tolerances. You might take a look at the .60 size 2 stroke that I loaded to the download section a few years back.

Okay, now that I look around, where did the downloads go??? Or is it me???

If you would like a copy I can email you one. DWG or PDF?

Don't go to small on your first one. A slightly larger engine is a bit more tolerant on tolerances. You might take a look at the .60 size 2 stroke that I loaded to the download section a few years back.

The downloads are now threads found under the 'Engines and Downloads' section of the forum - LINK. I did a quick search for your uploads and this is what shows up - LINK.

Hi lohring !
I have answered you, but it goes away - maybe I forgot to send! I'm sorry
With 1 / 4-32 tap: I bought it
With link for carburetor: I will buy it when the engine runs

Hi kf2qd ! All information is good for me. If you can, send me the link or copy DWG and PDF , or one file PDF .
Thanks

If you would like a copy I can email you one. DWG or PDF?
If you could send p d f on the 10cc engine would be great. [email protected]

.. nothing ...
I decided with the plan : https://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/threads/mp-3-2cc-glow-engine.26858/#post-294448
With some modify
20180723_114406.jpg
20180723_114322.jpg
20180723_114426.jpg
20180723_114437.jpg

Latest posts

Back