Gloves: blue nitrile, safe?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just wondering if my watch belt should be removed when using the drill press.

No rings, no gloves, no wrist watches, no long hairs, no chains around your neck, no loose sleeves.

Nick

No rings, no gloves, no wrist watches, no long hairs, no chains around your neck, no loose sleeves.

Nick

Hi Nick ,
Good advice.Will remove watch too. Hang up a clock nearby.The last posted fatal shop accident is scary. Boring Head completed,boring cutters came in.Will do test bore today.Hope my mini mill can take it.

.....I have been machining for 47 years now (....and boy, am I tired?) and NEVER wear gloves of any kind apart from a leather glove on one hand when clearing swarf from beneath the machines at the end of the week.

I rely on a good quality hand cleaner to get rid of grease and grime but at least I still have all my fingers, including their surrounding flesh, and have never broken any bones in my hands.

Incidentally, splinters are not a real problem and are also few and far between if you use brushes and a blow-down air gun to keep the work area clear of swarf.

Cheers, Norman.

When I was much younger and dumber, I was running a drill press at work wearing a shirt and tie. A piece of swarf came up and snagged my tie. The next thing I knew my tie was wrapping around the chuck drawing me in!

The good news is that the drill press was powered by a foot switch (a good idea if you ask me) so I was able to stop the machine in time.

But, damn, that was a hard neck knot to untie! IIRC, the tie was still serviceable afterwards.

John

I was wearing nitrile gloves one night while helping friends moulding a carbon fibre and Kevlar sump-guard and under-body armour for a WRX rally car.
We were racing the next day and, as usually happens, trying to finish everything last-minute. It was early morning and we were all getting very tired.
We needed to drill a hole(I don't remember why) so I picked up the cordless drill, gripped the chuck to remove the bit currently in it and gave the trigger a pull and the glove instantly twisted up in the chuck. Happened so fast and I was so tired it took a few seconds to realise what had happened.
The glove had firmly attached the cordless to my left hand and then the torque twisted it out of my trigger hand and had enough momentum to spin once and crack the battery hard against the knuckles on my right hand.
Took a while for us to cut my hand out of the glove and free it from the mess and even longer to cut the glove free of the drill (between chuck and drill body) with knives and scissors.
This was a first time for me... and you can be sure it will be the last!

Last edited:
When I was much younger and dumber, I was running a drill press at work wearing a shirt and tie. A piece of swarf came up and snagged my tie. The next thing I knew my tie was wrapping around the chuck drawing me in!

The good news is that the drill press was powered by a foot switch (a good idea if you ask me) so I was able to stop the machine in time.

But, damn, that was a hard neck knot to untie! IIRC, the tie was still serviceable afterwards.

John

Hi John,
Good reason why I went against the company protocol of wearing ties when working in the office or shop floor.When troubleshooting production machines,a tie around your neck becomes a very good hangman's rope.
C.E.O. from Corporate Office USA came for a shop visit and said this, " Gus .I am glad to see you are not wearing a tie. My best engineer was killed last week wearing one on the shop floor bach home. And I don't want to lose Gus too"

But for formal meetings I could not,would not and dare not, not wearing ties.

While working on a Can Body Machine Operator,why helping out a female factory mate to retrieve a can from the floor,I had to bent over the conveyor,
an exposed cog wheel caught my tee shirt and tored it off in split second.
Gus could suffered fatal injury. This was in 1966 and Gus was 22 foolish young man still attending night technical school

This happened in the 60s and 90s. Today Gus is 70 and still alive with 10 complete fingers. Only exception is my left thumb will not do do a perfect bend. Good reminder/warning.
I used wrong tool to remove a taper pin and hit thumb. See fotos of bad thumb and good thumb.

Another warning.See foot of hand/wrist. Scarred by drill bit seizing cotton glove. Thumb dislocated. Extemely painful.When using drill press. No gloves!!! You can barely see the 3" long scar.

I take no short cuts with personal safety when working in my mini machineshop.

IMG_1714.jpg

IMG_1712.jpg

IMG_1713.jpg

I agree, no gloves in the shop except for unpowered cleanup.

If I'm going to handle chemicals, and I'm not sure of the correct glove material, I check the M.S.D.S.(Material Safety Data Sheet), or call the 800 number on the container. I don't know the equivalents of these two ways of checking in other countries. If I seem a bit wimpy on this subject, I just retired from the petrochemical industry with all parts intact(more or less). Nuff said.

Tom

E=neseng;218242].....I have been machining for 47 years now (....and boy, am I tired?) and NEVER wear gloves of any kind apart from a leather glove on one hand when clearing swarf from beneath the machines at the end of the week.

I rely on a good quality hand cleaner to get rid of grease and grime but at least I still have all my fingers, including their surrounding flesh, and have never broken any bones in my hands.

Incidentally, splinters are not a real problem and are also few and far between if you use brushes and a blow-down air gun to keep the work area clear of swarf.

Cheers, Norman.[/QUOTE]

We had a couple hundred parts at work that wouldn't accept the Go-Gage after being plated.

I purchased a special size drill bit to drill-ream the small end hole to specs.
My right hand was starting to get a little raw from manually running the parts up and down
the spinning drill bit that was mounted in a low torque drill press. I wouldn't allow anyone else do it,
after all I'm a professional! :rolleyes:

I decided to put on a thin nitrile glove. It would tear away, right?
It didn't.
It got wrapped up in the bit. The light drill press stalled out, but not before it tipped forward putting a knot on my bald head.

No more gloves of any kind around powered machines for me!

Rick

We had a couple hundred parts at work that wouldn't accept the Go-Gage after being plated.

I purchased a special size drill bit to drill-ream the small end hole to specs.
My right hand was starting to get a little raw from manually running the parts up and down
the spinning drill bit that was mounted in a low torque drill press. I wouldn't allow anyone else do it,
after all I'm a professional! :rolleyes:

I decided to put on a thin nitrile glove. It would tear away, right?
It didn't.
It got wrapped up in the bit. The light drill press stalled out, but not before it tipped forward putting a knot on my bald head.

No more gloves of any kind around powered machines for me!

Rick

Hi Rick,

Welcome to the club of members having gloves grabbed by drill bits.
My left thumb was dislocated and pain was excrutiating. Top of hand was skinned and scarred for ten years before fading. Same scar was very useful
to preach--------"no gloves" when working in drill press and lathe.
Trust the head has not hurt too much.

Gus Teng,

Ran across an interesting blog post on this topic. Tom Lipton makes the point that there are some areas where wearing gloves improves safety.

So here we are fast forward. My experience with wearing gloves in the shop has been manageable, positive and hand healthy. Here are some of the positive benefits I have seen from wearing gloves in the shop.

• Lower gripping force required to hold items.
  • I can tighten the drill chuck significantly tighter by hand wearing these particular gloves.
  • I can carry more weight in each hand than I could before.
  • Hands stay warmer and cramp less without the sweating.
  • Hands stay cleaner in general. Nice when you have to run to the office and do something.
  • Cuts and nicks are reduced to near zero
  • Vibration isolation
He also makes the point that gloves are still a no-no around rotating machinery (and some other places). It's an interesting read; go here for the full article:

http://oxtool.blogspot.com/2013/07/gloves-in-machine-shop.html

P.S.

I have no connection to Tom Lipton, but I have become a fan of his youtube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/user/oxtoolco/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=1

Another bad , dangerous idea that should be avoided.

compressed air can turn swarf into projectiles and damage the machine and operator. User brush and shop vac.

Tin

You can take it from me ... gloves and ANY spinning part equals ... No No. How do I know this? Well they don't call me stumpy for no reason. I lost half a finger to the chain of my motorcycle. It's a bugger being only able to count to nine and a half ... lol

i had a similar experience. i was 13, riding my xr100(which comes with only a single sided lame chain guide) i fell over and fell back and put my left hand out and it got in the rear chain sprocket. lost the ends of my middle and ring fingers and almost lost the end of my pointer finger, but it was still kind of attached!!!! :eek: im 18 now and still have a pretty big scar in my pointer finger. i have pretty much adapted to my new finger length lol. luckily i only lost a little bit (just enough to see the bone!) i still have fingernails. it still took 3 months and 3 surgeries to fix! i can still play guitar perfectly fine after some re-toughening of the fingers.

i learned at a young age that stuff can and will happen to you.

It's a bugger being only able to count to nine and a half ... lol

Probably makes it hard to multiply by nines with the fingers also.

i learned at a young age that stuff can and will happen to you

I did my best to teach my son what Safe start calls line of fire. and case and effect If you do this and your hand or the tools slps what is the likely result . If the likely result is an injury change the plan.

I consider myself pretty safe by the grace of god. IIRC only 1 visit to the ER due to slightly stupid behavior on my part. Fell of a bicycle at age 36 Broke my wrist.
so learn to minimize stupid risky behavior on your part ad avoid others stupid behavior . I know not always an easy task.
Tin

Probably makes it hard to multiply by nines with the fingers also.

It certainly does .... lol

I did my best to teach my son what Safe start calls line of fire. and case and effect If you do this and your hand or the tools slps what is the likely result . If the likely result is an injury change the plan.

That's a pretty good path to follow, but often, we do not allow ourselves time to examine all the possibilities, especially when you have an unruly boss breathing down the back of your neck, telling you to get the job done, or you simply want to get home to the missus for a little desert ;) ... lol

I consider myself pretty safe by the grace of god. IIRC only 1 visit to the ER due to slightly stupid behavior on my part. Fell of a bicycle at age 36 Broke my wrist.
so learn to minimize stupid risky behavior on your part ad avoid others stupid behavior . I know not always an easy task.
Tin

If we followed that advice to it's ultimate conclusion though, we would not get out of bed, ever, and what on earth has a God got to do with it?

It seems to me that you're an intelligent being who is capable of reasoning. No evidence of any involvement of a God there :confused:

Latest posts

Back