Gingery Metal shaper

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Norman

Reaction score
I just found this forum, I made the patterns and been casting and machining a metal shaper for the last 3 months got it to the working stage finally!
Here's a short video of my project.
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyNMzSj7yfo[/ame]
All of my foundry tools and furnace are home made. I use waste engine oil to fire the furnace. My casting sand is walmart play sand with clumping cat litter for the binder.
I hope to hear from any of you out there thats built one of these things. I'm planning on building the mill but I'll go at a slower pace on it
I missed all of spring and 1/2 of the summer building the shaper. I kind of dived in with both feet on this project.
One of my longest projects was a home built airplane (KR-2) I've been flying it since 1985 when it was finished started it Nov 1982 first flight was July 1985.
Norman

This isn't any metal casting. Here is the airplane that I built from plans,including the engine.[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S019j7H01JY&feature=related[/ame]
over 200 mph pass with a 2180 cc engine

Norman,

Nice job on the shaper. I've got Gingery's set of books. I got as far as building the charcoal furnace.

About your plane. That 2180cc sounds familiar. Could it be a hopped up VW engine?

Bernd

Norman,

Welcome aboard. wEc1

Nice shaper.

Do you have any photos from the build?

We really like th_wwp

SAM

Norman, nice machines! That shaper is smooth! The Airplane is speedy!

Bernd: The KR planes are VW powered.

Yes I've got one video of a pour and some still photos of the shaper and patterns. I started the metal mill last night.
Yes the plane is bug powered stock is 1600cc mine is bored and stroked to 2180cc
norman

one of the first pours for the shaper. I don't pour on the concrete any more moved to the grass one spill on the drive convinced me not to do that.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ol0UWKzzm8[/ame]

the patterns for the shaper made from scrap wood and fiber board

metalshaper001-1.jpg

one of the patternsw and the cast part
metalshaper007-1.jpg

took 2 tries to get the ram right first one had steam pits
first is the pattern then the bad one one at right is the one I used
metalshaper014.jpg

the main body just starting to put it together. Plus the start of scraping, drilling,tapping, and cussing, lots of cussing.
I've learned that you can start cussing when you open the door to the man cave to get you into the mood to build.
metalshaper020-1.jpg

and cussing, lots of cussing.
I've learned that you can start cussing when you open the door to the man cave to get you into the mood to build.

We always called this technique "Pre-cussing". It was sort of like getting a running start to the main event on any really tough job....LOL

Steve

Norman :
Good going I had most of the series of those books but got lazy and bought machines instead. great job you are doing there.
Tin

Norman said:

So does that mean you're a "pre-curser"? :big: :big: :big:

Sorry, I know it's bad.

Ron

Yes, I guess so?!
Cussing is a bad habit to get into and very hard to stop. Very bad if your a Sunday school teacher with little ones who are walking tape recorders, will repeat every word that's been said.

Oz or Ron
I see your in Pueblo,Co. I'm not that far away I live in Pampa,Tx. it is around a 6 to 8 hr drive. My wife's father lives in Pueblo and her sister lives in the big city of Hooper, Co. lots of friends and family in Co. Maybe we can meet sometime.
Norman ;D

Norman said:
Oz or Ron
I see your in Pueblo,Co. I'm not that far away I live in Pampa,Tx. it is around a 6 to 8 hr drive. My wife's father lives in Pueblo and her sister lives in the big city of Hooper, Co. lots of friends and family in Co. Maybe we can meet sometime.
Norman ;D

I would like that. Next time your going to be in town give me a pm o send an e-mail and we'll make arrangements.

Gave up cussin a long time ago. Didn't help anyway. Don't miss it either.

Ron

thanks norman...i had luck this weekend!!! at a steam show i met a local guy ...jives 20 minutes away......anyway....six years ago he made all the patterns for the shaper and mill.... i havent seen them as this was only yesterday!!i plan to follow up on this as i have the gingery plans.... ive part made the gingery lathe...but the need to have a lathe and other castings was greater so i short cutted the project and adapted a wood lathe for basic turning... :)

Latest posts

Back