Gingery metal shaper in cast iron?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A video of it in action on

A video of it on action on steel would be awesome.
Do the ways wear quickly? The aluminium on steel seems like it would wear quickly. But then alloy pistons run in steel liners without wearing prematurely.
I hope your health improves.
Chris.
Hi, I haven't forgot to take a video of the shaper cutting steel.
Needed to leave for awhile but when I get things back in order will get the video done.
T

Hi, I haven't forgot to take a video of the shaper cutting steel.
Needed to leave for awhile but when I get things back in order will get the video done.
T
Hi, finally have video to look at, as you can see, it took me three tries before I got the tool bit ground
correctly.
The shaper itself works pretty good, its my body and brain thats going to hell.
T

Hi, finally have video to look at, as you can see, it took me three tries before I got the tool bit ground
correctly.
The shaper itself works pretty good, its my body and brain thats going to hell.
T
Looks like it is doing that with ease. Nice surface finish too. I would like to see more of your machine too.
Thanks T for tthe video.

Looks like it is doing that with ease. Nice surface finish too. I would like to see more of your machine too.
Thanks T for tthe video.
Hi, I'll get some pics together as soon as I find them.
One thing I can think of now about building this shaper or I guess any machine is accuracy.
I always read about others that have built the gingery shaper or the lathe is problems with chatter.
Those problems can be eliminated by taking time to scrape the ways properly, adding and removing shims, making sure everything is square and not just saying "its good enough", it needs to be done
with precision, which anyone can do if they use some common sense, think ahead and take the time..
Its fun and something to be proud of.
But This Is Just My Opinion.
T

Latest posts

Back