gingery metal mill

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I were to make it again or improve it? Make all bearing roller bearing no bushing. The spindle would have some sort of timken tapered roller bearing and adjustable for end play.
There's no way to adjust out the feed screw backlash, so make that different, maybe with acme feed screws. Use brass for all gibs, I used steel as per the plans, shim stock all brass, I used aluminum foil, pop cans, and those aluminum pans for cooking turkeys in. Hey they were cheap for shim stock. The shim stock I used is ok, but brass probably would be better?

I ended up using a 1 hp. electric motor the smaller motors wouldn't or couldn't turn the spindle at the highest rpms.
Looking back this was a fun project to build. I built the shaper and mill so I could fix my gears on the sears lathe. I preferred spending $300.00 on building the tools to make a $300.00 pulley/ sheave for the sears lathe, that way I learned something plus have 2 machines once done.
Until starting on the Gingery series I'd never done anything much with my small lathe, nor did I know how. but now that I've built the shaper, mill, and dividing head I'm bitten by the machining bug. I do like to cast metal and machine it into something useful.
I've up graded to a Grizzly G0602 lathe. I designed and built a speed reducer and reverse tumbler gears for my lathe along with small things to make the lathe more user friendly for me. I just in the past 2 weeks bought a Grizzly G0619 mill. It's still in the shipping crate. I called and asked if it was going to go on sale soon they didn't know. A couple of days ago I get a Grizzly flyer about that mill being on sale for $1375.00 instead of $1495.00, of all the rotten luck!!
I'm in Missouri now so on the way home, I'm going to pay Grizzly a visit and see if they would maybe give me that discounted price, I'll use the refund if they will to purchase more tools for the mill, they may not do that for me but it won't hurt to ask.
good luck on you build.

Norman said:
I just in the past 2 weeks bought a Grizzly G0619 mill. It's still in the shipping crate. I called and asked if it was going to go on sale soon they didn't know. A couple of days ago I get a Grizzly flyer about that mill being on sale for $1375.00 instead of $1495.00, of all the rotten luck!!
I'm in Missouri now so on the way home, I'm going to pay Grizzly a visit and see if they would maybe give me that discounted price
Surely there is a return/refund policy?
If they don't play-ball, tell them it is still boxed and you will be returning it for a full refund, then returning later to purchase one on sale ;D

No I won't do that. The people at Grizzly are very good to deal with. The reason I'm in Missouri is my Mom passed away the day I got my mill. The mill got to Amarillo, Tx. on a Friday the trucking co. called and set up delivery the day before for Monday.
I wasn't going to be home, I tried to get the trucking co. to deliver the mill that fri. they couldn't, so I went to Amarillo and loaded up the mill and took it home (I did get back the lift gate cost) the trucking co. would hold the mill for only 48 hrs. then send it back, so if I'd let that happen I wouldn't be ordering it again until next week. So maybe it will work out.

Hi Norman,

My condolences on your loss, but let me congratulate you on your efforts. It took some heap of gumption to accomplish what you have since July of this year.

I'm glad you learned a ton along the way and shared your effort with us.

:bow:

Dave

I stopped at Grizzly and they DID give me a refund for the sale price so I promptly bought more tools! I have to say that the people at the grizzly store will do their best to please their customers.
My son at the Grizzly store in Missouri.
100_0073.jpg

If I could have fit this mill in my shop this is the one I'd bought.
100_0076.jpg

Loaded up in the truck G0619 mill
100_0044.jpg

out of the truck and in my shop. Just uncrated still in all that nasty grease.
100_0060.jpg

Thats great news re the refund. Sorry to hear about your mum though :(
BTW, my previous post was a suggestion if they would not refund the difference, but they did so two thumbs up for Grizzly Thm: Thm:

Well it's been only about 2 months since I bought the G0619 mill. I've built a stand for it out of 2" sq. tubing, I think it turned out pretty good at least for me.
I've added a couple of things to the mill. One was a clutch for the power feed and the other is a spindle lock both were from a lady named Paula. They worked out really nice. Her post for the clutch is on this forum in the machine modifications thread. I found her spindle lock in the Yahoo forum for the Seig mills.
I broke down a bought a Dro Pros 2axis dro and installed it. All of these mods were well worth the trouble I think. The dro was expensive but sure beats me trying to remember the counts on the dials, I got the magnetic scales dro this was very easy to install but the instructions on how to use the dro don't match up with their videos online, those videos are for their other dros so the dro with the magnetic scales is a little different. I'm still stumbling through learning how to use the manual as there seems to be mistakes on how to use the dro in that manual. So if you get the magnetic scale dro don't buy their dvd it won't be the same on how to enter info or use the magnetic scales dro, I didn't buy their dvd but thought they all came with one but they don't. Well enough rambling.

Back