Ghosty's "V" Twin

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought a copy/clone of the RXCEL ignition from hobbyking for a lot less money that comes with the sensor but no magnet. Grabbed a ton of magnets for $2 off ebay. Same as the RXCEL it is auto-advancing so that needs to be accounted for in setup, but it worked fine. When I can afford it I'll probably buy more for future projects. Here's the LINK

I bought a copy/clone of the RXCEL ignition from hobbyking for a lot less money that comes with the sensor but no magnet. Grabbed a ton of magnets for $2 off ebay. Same as the RXCEL it is auto-advancing so that needs to be accounted for in setup, but it worked fine. When I can afford it I'll probably buy more for future projects. Here's the LINK
Cogsy
I have bought those before and had them burn out after a short time. The OEM Rxcel ones I have had no problems with, also the Rxcel will operate on up to 12Vcc. The clone ones don't work long on 5 cell NiCd, as I use 2 LiIon cells(aprox 8Vcc)

Cheers
Andrew

Ahh I see. I haven't run it much, being an ignition for a hit and miss that doesn't get started often. I run it off 4 Duracell alkaline AA's and so far it's been ok. I certainly wouldn't trust it in a plane though (not that I fly anymore but maybe one day I'll take it up again).

Hi All,
Thanks guys, will keep moving on. Got the timing gears and cams done.

Cheers
Andrew

Would you mind showing a close detailed photo of you boring bar cutting tool, I'm just looking for a sample to cut mine from to get me a starting point.... maybe I worrie about small details but I really like to learn all I can

Would you mind showing a close detailed photo of you boring bar cutting tool, I'm just looking for a sample to cut mine from to get me a starting point.... maybe I worrie about small details but I really like to learn all I can
Here you go.

Cheers
Andrew

10.jpg

20161102_151442.jpg

Hi All,
Got the split keeper made up. Fitted and then spent a lot of time on the engine. IT RUNS. Still some problems with the intake springs(too stiff). Will spend some more time on it tomorrow. Had to work around the rain today, first time in a couple of months.

Cheers
Andrew

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCvok4Qjht4&feature=youtu.be

Ghosty,
How are you able to determine that the intake springs are too stiff?I thought it sounded pretty darn good.I watched your vids for the 2nd and 3rd run,and it tends to "miss" to my ears there too?:confused:

David,
The two pieces that lock the flywheel to the crank. They are tapered and the fitted into a taper in the flywheel.

Cheers
Andrew

Why not a keyway and key?Seems like is would be a lot less work than tapers and all that drilling/tapping?

Great build. Congrats. Looks great sounds a little like an Harley need some more cam. LOL

Bill

Ghosty,
How are you able to determine that the intake springs are too stiff?I thought it sounded pretty darn good.I watched your vids for the 2nd and 3rd run,and it tends to "miss" to my ears there too?:confused:

Just by looking at how the inlet valve works. It should open nearly the full travel of the valve, In the first run the valve was only just opening. By my way of looking at it the spring should only just hold the valve closed. I could be wrong but it works for me. The sound in the video is not as clear as what the engine is doing.

Cheers

Where did you get the timing module tester? The protractor.... is there a name for it? I'd like to try and find one. And your intake valve looks like it activates by vacuum?

Thank Brian, I am looking forward to running it as well.
Got the magnets today. Fitted the twin pickups, and then set the timing(5 deg BTDC) very easy with the ign test module.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N023IU-GztA
Got a reply on a price of 6" dia brass today, will be in next week I hope, will make a very nice flywheel.

Cheers
Andrew

David,
The two pieces that lock the flywheel to the crank. They are tapered and the fitted into a taper in the flywheel.

Cheers
Andrew

Andrew,
I don't know if it matters, but can I assume that that angle is 20° included?

Thanks,
Muggs

Back