Getting Close!!!

Help Support HMEM:

C

chiliviking

I got back to work on my PM Lathe kit this week after being away for a couple weeks. I think I have most of the difficult stuff done. I procrastinated for a while on how to mill the 1/32 keyway in the lead screw. I ended up using an aluminum soft jaw in the milling vise with a recess cut out to hold the 1/8 shaft. It worked great but is kind of a slow process with that small of an end mill. I only took .003 at a pass and completed the cuts without breaking an end mill.

I will start on the 4-jaw chuck for it soon as that is the biggest challenge left. This project has been a great learning experience!!

mklotz

Reaction score
Looks really great, chili.

I gave up trying to mill the slot in the power feed rod. Instead, I clamped the rod into a slot in a piece of aluminum and used a 1/32" slotting saw. Worked nicely.

What procedure did you use to make the three ball handle for the crossfeed?

C

chiliviking

I made the 3 ball handle freehand with what I believe would be called a "graver" if I know the correct term. Basicaly just a small worn out file with a cutting edge ground on it and used in the same manner as woodturning. It took two attempts as the first on I goofed up when I tried to broach the square hole in it. The second one I filed the square hole which is the correct procedure.

gilessim

Reaction score
That's really great work!, I'm envious! did you have to cut the little gears? or did they come with the kit?

Giles

S_J_H

Reaction score
It's looking great!
I'll be back to work on mine soon. I decided if I am going to be doing work with these small endmills I really need a high speed spindle. So one project led to another. ::)

Steve

C

chiliviking

The gears come in a long bar with the teeth on them and you cut them to length, bore the center hole and machine the hub if necessary.

Bernd

Reaction score
Very nice and clean job there Chiliviking. :bow:

Bernd

Latest posts