Gerstner tool chest question

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm going to try my hand at etching a name plate in brass. I'm designing the plate to look "old timey " I'm using a font similar to gerstner but with my name. I set out to fine a font that would look good but didn't find one I liked better than the one I found.

Sent from my C6606 using Model Engines mobile app

What is the size of the machinerys handbook and what are the interior dimensions of the handbook drawer?

What is the size of the machinerys handbook ?

My 25th Edition is 5" wide 7 1/8 high and 2 3/4 thick.

what are the interior dimensions of the handbook drawer?

My Travers wood chest the MH sits binding up, the interior dimensions are 4 1/4 wide 4 3/4 deep (tight to say the least) and 7 7/8 long.
Keep in mind the drawer seems to Include space for the companion book that is about 3/4 to one inch thick.
my 25th edition CHB does not fit but the 22nd does. Hmmm.
On the Kennedy the space is 5- 3/8 wide x 7- 1/2 long x and 4 - 1/4 high.
The book (s) sit flat. The back and sides of the drawer are only 2" tall the front full height.

So you need decide if prefer horizontal or Vertical configuration . 4 -1/4 seems to be a the right dimension for the thickness of the books and 5 - 1/4 to 5 -3/8 to leave breathing room against the spline.
Hope this helps

Tin . .

If it's a choice between horizontal and horizontal, I'll take horizontal. Lol
I'm going with the spine up.
I've also decided to go with half blind dovetails for the drawers.

Sorry. Edited so you have a choice. It has been been a long day.
Tin

I was joking with you. I knew what you meant. :)

Would it look ridiculous to use a bookmatched piece of like fiddleback maple for the drawer lid panel inside a walnut frame? I've also seen black walnut jewelry boxes made with panel and frame lids with a maple frame and walnut panel. That interests me. I like the contrast.

Why don't you go to the Gerstner website and look how a chest from the beginning to the end is made .
Hil

I did. I had more questions. And now I have a plan and a design.

K: You have probably noticed that are many variations of the design.
Gershners has several models as does grizzly etc.
the drawer number varies IIRC in general the drawers come in two heights and two lengths.
Also the MH drawer is centered on what i have. it is sometimes off to the side.

Also if you are doing spline up vertical (my preference as well . I suggest either cut out s or reduced height to the drawer sides to allow easier removal of the handbook.
Tin

I haven't started on the drawer backs and sides yet but I picked up the parts I have for it so far and Christ, I'm going to have to join a gym. The thing weighs a ton.

Here is the front lid. Used a clear Danish oil. If the rest of the box looks half this nice I'll be happy

Sorry about that, here's a photo.

1396717454494.jpg

The carcass is done except for the drawer supports. Still have the drawers to make, the lid and other things but it should be ready for blueprinting soon.

1397360825191.jpg

I just got an error that said I didn't have permission to access this page.

The carcass with the sub assembly. I still have to cut the slots for the drawer lid guide pins and mortice in the locks.

Nice job on the chest! Is it finished? Got pics? Concerning Gerstner back panels, they are veneered plywood. According to Gersner it is for improved stability of the wood. The MH drawer dims have changed throughout the years to accommodate changes in the MH dims.

You have raised the bar. Your DIY Gerstner Tool Chest will look great. You do good carpentry and your
cabinet making skill beat mine hands down.

Gus is now taking cover.

Latest posts

Back