Gerstner tool chest question

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kd0afk

Reaction score
What does the back of a gerstner look like?

Sent from my C6606 using Model Engines mobile app

On the one I have the back is made of the same wood as the rest of the box and is solid (flat) just like the sides.

I've some chests that have a paneled back.
The wood from Rick Barnes came today. Very nice black walnut. This was just one detail I wasn't certain of. Thanks

If I were making it, it would be paneled with tong and grove, grain running vertical so it can expand and contract very freely. Running it cross grain to the sides is asking for a split.

Sent from my iPad using Model Engines

I'm glad you like the walnut. I hope the humidity differences allows it to stay straight.

Hey there Rick. Do you mean a panel like a style and rail with an inset panel like the front or a glued up solid piece?

A could do panel and frame like they for cabinet doors, or a frame, with the panel made of tongue and grove or lap joint. Anything that will let the wood move, but still provide the support a back should. Frame and panel is best, but more difficult to do with hand tools.

Next question. What would be a good choice for the drawer sides/backs? I'm thinking poplar?

On the back is it vertical grain with a toung and grooved horizontal band, like the sides?

Poplar or soft maple has always been one of my favorite secondary woods for Walnut.

I think I may just build mine around the size of the tools I need to store, and whatever lumber I have on hand.

On the back is it vertical grain with a toung and grooved horizontal band, like the sides?

Do you have plans that have a recommended way of doing the back?

No, it just makes good sense to me. Keep the grain running the same way.
Could someone post a photo of the back of theirs? The only person o know who owns a gerstner won't move his so I can see the back of it.
Basically I'm using photo references and good woodworking practices.

ImageUploadedByModel Engines1393082593.218190.jpg

Here's a picture someone posted earlier in the thread, the back is panel and frame. Good choice.

I just found a photo of the back and its made with horizontal grain.

I think this will be the last question. Would it be austentageous to do a simple inlay in the front panel? Something like this?

1393177653713.jpg

I was a woodworker before I got into metal work and I want the chest to reflect that without ruffling the feathers of any gerstner purists. Lol

I was a woodworker before I got into metal work and I want the chest to reflect that without ruffling the feathers of any gerstner purists. Lol

It comes down to your goal. Are you trying to copy a Gershner or build your own piece of craftsmanship. And your interpretation of a tool chest.
If you are an experienced cabinet maker you should be able to make a fine tool Chest. I agree the gershner is the gold standard. But not necessarily the only way to achieve the goal.
Tin

Thanks. What did Bugs Bunny say once? "If I dood it I get a whoopin...I dood it!"
I think the compass rose will show my workmanship off without being gaudy. I'm patterning mine after a gerstner but yeah I'm building it the way I want it but still trying to remain traditional. Who knows, maybe in the future some archeologist will see it and say I was royalty for having such an ornate chest while other's were so plain heehee

Latest posts

Back