Gerry's beam engine query

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi folks,
Its been a while.
I am now hoping to build Gerry's beam engine and have redrawn from the plans into a solidworks model before starting construction. I have noticed a few anomolies and wanted to see if any of you that have built this model can shed any light on these.
1/ My model shows the piston bottoming out. I have downloaded another example from GrabCad and this also bottoms out.
2/ The plans show a square section cylinder but all the examples I have seen are cylindrical with a flat for the porting.

Any help would be most appreciated.
Rich

On your second point, my cylinder is square but the design allows for lagging which makes the outward view cylindrical.

Andy

On your second point, my cylinder is square but the design allows for lagging which makes the outward view cylindrical.

Andy

Thanks for that Andy. It wasn't clear from the plans.
Also I noticed some parts are named differently to that shown on the beam/linkages sub assy drawing to the detail drawings. So that confused me a bit too.
Thanks for your reply
Rich

Yes, the part names are not consistent across drawings. On the good side, this does force you to think things through more carefully :)

Andy

Latest posts

Back