Generator.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

100model

Reaction score
After visiting N.A.M.E.S. and the Henry Ford museum years ago it gave me plenty of ideas to make a generator from a electric motor. I liked the shape of the Edison generators at the Henry Ford museum so some patterns were made copying those shapes and cast them in iron. I used a garbage disposal motor with a electronic speed controller so I could do many tests to see how well it would work. There was one problem to solve along the way, I used super glue to attach the magnets and the glue was not strong enough at a certain speed. So the glue was ditched and some magnets with holes were used with screws to make sure the magnets would stay in place. I was surprised as to how much the output from this generator was. Have look at my video making the generator.

Nice work, ive seen a few of your videos on casting iron all very good. Thank you.
Thank you for watching my video. I had a look at your website and loved your generator kit! The castings are exactly the way I would make them. So many of the kits I have seen are very plain looking castings but your castings capture how generators would look 100 years ago.

Very nice work indeed sir! Interesting as the dickens. The question on everyone's mind is are castings available for purchase or drawings or stl files so that castings could be 3D printed. I am amazed at the output your unit develops. Thank you for sharing.

BC1
Jim

Thank you for watching my video. I had a look at your website and loved your generator kit! The castings are exactly the way I would make them. So many of the kits I have seen are very plain looking castings but your castings capture how generators would look 100 years ago.
Thanks, i took inspiration from an old build log on here by 'Manfred'
Ive learnt a lot about casting iron from your videos thanks for sharing. I got me some nice ferro scilicone after watching your experiments and hope to cast the generator in iron to see if it adds more power to the magnetic field.

Very nice work indeed sir! Interesting as the dickens. The question on everyone's mind is are castings available for purchase or drawings or stl files so that castings could be 3D printed. I am amazed at the output your unit develops. Thank you for sharing.

BC1
Jim
I only pour iron castings for myself. Years ago I could not get foundries to make castings for myself because they did not like doing one off castings. Years later I can see why they do not pour one off castings as it takes a lot of time to make a sand mold. To me I do not care how long it takes to make a sand mold as I am not working to get paid. I made the patterns to suit one electric motor but it will not work with other motors. It is really great when a model works far better than when I first designed it. This is why I used another electric motor to drive it because most model engines will not drive a generator that powerful.

Thanks, i took inspiration from an old build log on here by 'Manfred'
Ive learnt a lot about casting iron from your videos thanks for sharing. I got me some nice ferro scilicone after watching your experiments and hope to cast the generator in iron to see if it adds more power to the magnetic field.
You will be amazed as to how much more output the generator will have if you put magnets in a iron housing. Here is a simple experiment you could try, use a magnet with no steel attached and see how much weight you can lift with it. Next place a thick piece of steel on the magnet and you will find that the magnet will be a lot stronger and lift a heavier weight. Sheet metal does not work as well as a thick piece of steel. It is good to see that another caster is going to try cast iron.

Reactions: Zeb

Latest posts

Back