General question

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coldte

Reaction score
Hi, What do you guys do to keep your hands clean ,i find it almost impossible to get the grime from the finger tips with all the small nicks and cuts etc associated with metal working and after machining cast iron i am in one hell of a state sometimes and starting to get hassle from er indoors, so any advice appreciated.
coldte

Learning to ignore the hassle from Erin Daws is the most important part of the process.

Wouldnt wear gloves while using the machines my self,got some of that hand wash stuff thats works ok ,but the best way (not that i do it )is to wash the dishes every eve ,i stick with the grubby look based upon this :bow:

This might sound just plain odd, but I get my hands clean by washing my hair in the shower. Gets my fingernails clean, too.
Better than doing the dishes, I guess.

Don't get your hands dirty!

You can use,

"Silicone glove" made by Avon.

"Glove Kote" by Chase Chemical Co.

I wipe down while picking up tools and machined pieces with "Select a Size" paper towels. Also use them for a quick wipe down of my machines, and in the trash they go.

One engine build = one roll of paper towels. they also make a nice clean surface to lay your measuring instruments on.

Edit; I exaggerated a little bit, its more like two builds = one roll.

-MB

I use this stuff:
GoJo.jpg

You can find it at most auto supply stores or order it from any
industrial supply house, such as ENCO.

Rick

You will find if you do as you should do, and that is use a good quality barrier cream before starting to work, the dirt should just float off when you wash your hands. Reapply after each hand wash. Apply to hands and arms up to elbow level for normal protection.

It also stops all the nasties reacting in cuts and grazes, and prevents dermatitis.

The cheapest and best protection you can get.

Blogs

I use something called gloves in a bottle, it works well. Used it alot when I lived in Missouri and worked as a machinist.

I wear the grime with pride. Every nick, scratch, scrape, cut, and sliver came from doing what I love to do. Once a week I sit down and dig out the troublesome bits. ;D

When I was in high school I worked in a diesel garage and worked on dump trucks that came from the refinery across the highway. They hauled industrial coke which is kind of like coal. In fact I looked like a coal miner at the end of the day. The only way I found to clean up was to use Comet sink cleaner with a pad of steel wool and scrub like crazy under running water. I think it worked by taking a couple of layers of skin off.

When working on my car engines I just take some dish soap like Dawn and squirt some in the palm of my hand and rub it in until it dries. Kind of like liquid glove and other stuff but really cheap and usually on hand in the kitchen. Helps a lot when you clean up. There are still times that just washing does not get everything clean. Then I use 3M scotch bright pads (kind of like the old steel wool) and use them to scrub the tough spots. I usually cut them in half to a more useable size.

To keep finger nails clean scrape them across a bar of soap to fill them with a layer of soap. When you wash it just disolves away.

Barrier cream to keep hands clean although I find reapplying it is a pain as every time I put it on I immediately need to go to the toilet & end up doing it again. :(

In the Uk Halfords sell a range of hand barriers and cleaners although not the most economic. - Perhaps machine mart or on-line for cheapness.

You might try this although I have no personal experiance:

HEAVY-DUTY BARRIER CREAM

4 tbsp (60 ml) petroleum jelly 2 handfuls fresh elderflowers.

1. Gently melt the petroleum jelly then add the elderflowers.

2. Leave to macerate for 45 minutes, reheating the jelly each time it solidifies.

3. Warm to a liquid and strain through a sieve into a screw-top jar. Cool and then seal.

tel said:
Learning to ignore the hassle from Erin Daws is the most important part of the process.
Rof} Rof}

I just use about a teaspoon of "cold water" clothes washing powder with hot water & a nail brush. Once clean, some "moisturizing cream" (for me in the form of olive oil) to prevent my skin feeling & looking like sharkskin.

Back