Gears again

Discussion in 'General Engine Discussion' started by wesley, May 22, 2019.

Help Support HMEM by donating:

1. May 22, 2019 #1

wesley

wesley

wesley

Hi all dam gears again ( sorry ) a member on here has been very kind with help over making the gears for rudys tractor but am stuck with one problem the bull gears getting brass plate for the size l need is hard and the cost is silly,now my options are with what l have in stock are make the bull gears from steel and the rest of them in brass or bronze ,so am putting it out to you experts to tell me if that will work ok,as l know some worm gear set ups work with a mix of steel an brass,but did not want to go ahead with my plan if it will not work.
    wes

2. May 22, 2019 #2

kvom

kvom

kvom

Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator

what size are the bull gears?

3. May 23, 2019 #3

wesley

wesley

wesley

The gears are 2 1/2" ,the plans say use 1/8" brass plate ,but to me its to thin ,so have 4 mm steel plate and 4 mm stainless plate ?, just wanted to know if the metal will run ok with other gears made out of brass or bronze.
    wes

4. May 23, 2019 #4

Brian Rupnow

Brian Rupnow

Brian Rupnow

Well-Known Member Project of the Month Winner

Keep a little grease on them and you will be okay. I've ran steel on brass, steel on steel, and brass on brass, with no difficulty. If it was a really heavy continuous load, gears made from the same metal might "pick up" a bit on their surface, but at model size and with some lubrication, you won't have any problem.---Brian

wesley likes this.
  5. May 24, 2019 #5

errolf2

errolf2

errolf2

Good Morning,
    I had the same problem regarding a gear blank around that size. I solved it by silver soldering a piece of 2" and a piece of 3" 3/16' flat brass together, cutting out the blank with a hole saw and the gear turned out perfect. It was almost impossible to find the joint after machining.
    Regards
    Errol

6. May 24, 2019 #6

wesley

wesley

wesley

Thanks for the help again ,can se the way forward now ,great forum ,thanks to all.
    wes