Gear oil Question

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robwilk

Reaction score
I am not sure if this is the correct place to ask this question because it is not related to machining but knowing the extent of knowledge on this forum I thought you were the people to ask.
I have to refill the oil in the transfer gear box on my four wheel drive car. I have been told it is to be filled with 75/90 gear oil which I don't have but I have loads of 90 gear oil can I just use this instead or do need to get some 75/90.
Any advice will be appreciated.

Rob.........

Hi Rob. No reason straight 90 shouldn't work, it will just be a bit thick in the cold. What's the vehicle? On an old rover you'd probably never notice it, on a new Audi with computer controlled everything, it might get confused.

Cheers

Jeff

Hi Jeff It is a Mitsubishi Shogun Built in 2000 no fancy electrics but it is used as a four wheel drive on a regular basis.

Rob......

Check your owners manual. Newer transfer cases take Automatic Trans Fluid.

Unfortunately I don't have the owners manual for it but I contacted the main Mitsubishi dealers who told me the spec of the oil.

Rob.......

Autodata recons 75/90 synthetic gear oil
This is much thinner than hypoyd 90
John

90 weight will be fine, as stated it previously it is thicker and may be slightly more difficult to shift in cold climates. I use automatic transmission fluid for all manual transmissions and transfer cases personally.

Thank you all for the advice I used 90 oil in the end it seems to be working fine but it has warm today.

Rob.....

Latest posts

Back