Gear Cutting

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lensman57

Reaction score
Hi,
I have been thinking of cutting my own gears for small model engines but I do not wish to spend a lot of money buying gear cutting sets.
Is there a g-code for making lets say a single point tool out of HSS tool bit of 5/16" dimension or similar?
I thought that perhaps a small diameter diamond burr or a silicon carbide disc about 1" diameter on a cnc mill should be able to produce an accurate profile for lets say a 32 Dp gear set.
what do you think?

Regards,

A.G

Hi AG
The best method I am aware of for cutting gears without buying gear cutters is to cut a circular hobb (as opposed to a helical hobb)
It will have a profile identical to a rack of the same DP and pressure angle.
Only one cutter is required for the full range regardless of the number of teeth in the gear (compared to 8 cutters per set for standard involuted gear cutters)

Look for gear hobbing on YouTube
There are some helpfully how to videos
"hobbynut" made series that are very interesting (a few minor technical inaccuracies but the overall technique is great)
When I find the link I'll post it
You may find better videos on the subject if your willing to pay for it but this is the best freebie I have seen on the subject

Bez

Back